Vlookup question

  1. #1

    Question Vlookup question

    Okay, I'll try & make this as simple as I can.
    I have two worksheet tabs. 1. Named: Sheet2 & 2. Named: 2524-Pivot
    In Sheet2 I have the following layout:
    A B C D E
    MM/YY MM/YY MM/YY
    Code Reported Device Jan-06 Feb-06 Mar-06
    2524 Failure to Advance

    Okay, so under let's say C3 I am trying to write a Vlookup formula. A normal one would be =VLOOKUP(C2,'2524-Pivot'!$A$3:$J$24,10,FALSE) as Worksheet Tab 2524-Pivot is where the data is I want it to look up according to the MM/YY.
    It works great; however, I am going to be creating a crazy amount of these Pivot-table worksheets and each one will be named code-Pivot
    So I wanted to know if anyone knew if it was possible to do a Vlookup that would automatically grab the A column (Code) and then just put the -Pivot part of the table_array name.
    I tried the following (which didn't work:
    =vlookup(c2,'a3&-Pivot'!$a$3:$j$24,10,false) and some similar.

    anyone out there can help, it would be greatly appreciated. if it's possible all I would have to do would be to copy and paste these in this huge spreadsheet with many mm/yy fields.

    Please help.

    Thanks,
    David

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup question

    Try Help under INDIRECT. You can construct a formula that takes text from a
    cell
    Suppose A1 has the value 1, then =INDIRECT("Sheet"&A1&"!C1") is equivalent
    to =Sheet1!C1

    By the way: your WORKBOOK is make up of WORKSHEETS and, maybe, CHARTSHEETS
    The TABS are just the tools used to open the sheets.
    So you refer to the worksheet named 2524-Pivot, not to the tab with that on
    it.
    Your workbook has worksheets named Sheet2 and 2524-Pivot
    Using the correct terminology helps getting results from Help and from other
    users
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "aka_krakur" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SimonCC
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup question

    This might work:
    =VLOOKUP(C2,INDIRECT("'"&A3&"-Pivot'!$A$3:$J$24"),10,FALSE)

    -Simon