Searching Two Not-That-Similar Lists

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver

    Searching Two Not-That-Similar Lists

    Hi all,

    I have two worksheets. One which has a list of properties, the other has a list of the same properties, but as their Autocad drawing file names.

    I believe that not all the properties have drawings, so I'm trying to run a search that displays which properties do. However due to the drawing name (e.g. Hoddesden GF As Fixed (29245) MVS.dwg) being different to the property name (e.g. Hoddesden) I am not entirely sure how I go about doing this.

    If it's of any use, the property name is always the first thing to appear before the drawing extension details.

    Can anyone suggest a solution? I've tried a couple of IF(VLOOKUP)-type functions but always get stumped when it comes to getting Excel to ignore everything after the property name.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    TIA,

    SamuelT

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Searching Two Not-That-Similar Lists

    Will this help?

    Place in sheet containing drawing names and assuming properties are in
    column A on "Sheet2" and CAD names are in column A:

    =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1),Sheet2!A:A,0)),"No match","Matched")

    This will match the property name in CAD drawing with property name AND
    assumes a blank as delimeter of the property name in the CAD name.

    Copy down as required

    HTH

  3. #3
    Scoops

    SamuelT wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have two worksheets. One which has a list of properties, the other
    > has a list of the same properties, but as their Autocad drawing file
    > names.
    >
    > I believe that not all the properties have drawings, so I'm trying to
    > run a search that displays which properties do. However due to the
    > drawing name (e.g. Hoddesden GF As Fixed (29245) MVS.dwg) being
    > different to the property name (e.g. Hoddesden) I am not entirely sure
    > how I go about doing this.
    >
    > If it's of any use, the property name is always the first thing to
    > appear before the drawing extension details.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a solution? I've tried a couple of IF(VLOOKUP)-type
    > functions but always get stumped when it comes to getting Excel to
    > ignore everything after the property name.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > SamuelT

    Hi SamuelT

    If your drawing text is in A1, try:

    =IF(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)...

    This will look for the at the first whole word in the drawing text.

    You will have a problem with the likes of Hoddesdon Gardens, and
    Hoddesdon Plaza both returning Hoddesdon, but see if it helps.

    Regards

    Steve