placeholders

  1. #1
    jhahes
    Guest

    placeholders

    Is there anyway to do the following...

    Say I want to replace this

    (name)

    in every sheet with txtFirstName.value

    for example

    txtFirstName.value = "Bob"

    So every sheet that has (name) in part of the cell will be replaced with Bob.

    But when the worksheet closes put (name) back in and take out Bob.

    thanks for any help

    Josh

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: placeholders

    alter your entries to formulas similar to this

    ="this is text " & Sheet3!A1 & " more text"

    then in sheet3!A1 put what you want to display: (Name) or BoB

    Sheet3 can be hidden if you wish.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    jhahes
    Guest

    I like the solution -but I have another problem now

    Hi Tom,

    thanks for the solution....it works....however

    on some of the cells - it has errors because the text is more than 255 characters and it says formula is too long....Is there an easy way to get around this?

    thanks

    Josh

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: placeholders

    Well, you could put sections of that long text on cells on that Sheet3 and
    then cocatenate them in

    =Sheet3!A1 & " " & sheet3!A2 & " " & Sheet3!A3

    perhaps.

    or you can go back to your original and try doing Edit=>Replace
    What (Name)
    With Bob

    (with the macro recorder on if you want code).

    It seems to me that replace also has problems with long text strings - as I
    recall.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "jhahes" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    jhahes
    Guest

    thank you

    Thanks, tom for helping me... i will try one of those