Change Startup Settings

  1. #1

    Change Startup Settings

    Is there a way to change the startup settings so that gridlines are never showing in a new document?

    I also would like to modify the formatting toolbar so that I don't have to reset the font color and fill color every time I open a new document.

    Are these possible?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Change Startup Settings

    For first question...............

    Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. File>Save
    As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name your workbook
    "BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.

    Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

    This will be the default workbook for File>New or the Toolbar button File>New

    Do not use File>New...Blank Workbook or you will get the Excel default workbook.

    Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

    You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet. Customize as
    you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also. It now becomes
    the default Insert>Sheet.

    More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

    For second question.........I have not heard of a method of changing the default
    on these.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:38:11 -0400, Slave2Six
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there a way to change the startup settings so that gridlines are
    >never showing in a new document?
    >
    >I also would like to modify the formatting toolbar so that I don't have
    >to reset the font color and fill color every time I open a new
    >document.
    >
    >Are these possible?

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3

    Re: Change Startup Settings

    #1. A few options....an icon on your favorite toolbar is nice for those
    workbooks inherited from others.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...6324%40msn.com

    #2. Notice that the color for the font and fill when you open excel. For me,
    it's bright yellow fill and bright red font.

    Tools|Options|Color Tab
    (do this twice)

    Find the color that is currently used (yellow or red) and select it. Then click
    modify. Change that color to the color of your choice.

    Do this for the other (fill or font), too.

    These color changes live in the workbook--they're not an application setting.
    So this will change the default color for the current workbook.

    If you want to make the changes "permanent" for all new workbooks, then you'll
    have to make these changes to your Book.xlt workbook template file in XLStart
    (like Gord posted).

    Excel will use that template workbook when you create a new workbook by clicking
    on the new icon on the standard toolbar.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Change Startup Settings

    Good workaround for the default font and fill colors.

    Gord

  5. #5
    It totally works!!!!

    I am not exaggerating when I say that I have asked these same questions of everyone I know who knows anything about Excel for at least three years. This has been making me loopy for a long time.

    Thank you so much. I cannot express what a mental relief this is.

    And yes, I do need to get a life.