keyword search and delete row

  1. #1

    keyword search and delete row

    I have a database of thousands of contacts. I would like to delete all contacts with a certain word. is there a way to search for a word, then if excel finds the word, delete the row? I have been doing it manually and it is getting too time consuming
    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2

    Re: keyword search and delete row

    I've use this macro to delete rows that didn't contain a 0 in column V.
    It is the inverse of what you are loooking for, but I think you can use
    this macro. You have to add an extra column (take column V in order to
    copy paste this macro) where you put a 0 if the special word is in the
    row, use an if then else funtion.

    ---
    Sub Reset()
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect
    Dim NullRange As Range
    Set NullRange = Nothing
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    For i = 1 To ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    If Range("V" & i).Value = "" Then 'If cell in column V is empty,
    then add to NullRange.
    If NullRange Is Nothing Then 'If NullRange were non-empty to
    start, this If could be removed leaving the Else action as the only one
    to perform.
    Set NullRange = (Cells(i, 1))
    Else
    Set NullRange = Union(NullRange, Cells(i, 1))
    Next

    If Not (NullRange Is Nothing) Then
    NullRange.EntireRow.Delete 'Delete the rows which satisfy the
    condition.
    End If
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Call subreset
    ActiveSheet.Protect
    End Sub
    ---

    Hope it helps.

    Bernd

  3. #3
    Zone
    Guest

    Re: keyword search and delete row

    Here's an alternate way to do it. Might be a bit crude, but it's
    simple and effective. Copy and put in a standard module. Change Const
    WordToFind to whatever it is you want to find. Change Const Col to
    whatever column you want to look in. Sub presumes sheet is not
    protected. Also note that it will delete if "draw", "Draw", or "DRAW"
    is matched. James

    Sub SearchAndDestroy()
    Const WordToFind = "draw"
    Const Col = "a"
    Dim k As Long
    For k = Cells(65535, Col).End(xlUp).Row To 1 Step -1
    If InStr(1, Cells(k, Col), WordToFind, vbTextCompare) > 0 _
    Then Rows(k).EntireRow.Delete
    Next k
    End Sub