Comment Displays date

  1. #1

    Comment Displays date

    While hovering over a cell which contains the date in this format: dd/mm/yyyy, i want the comment to display the date in the format: "Month" "Day"'th, "YYYY" such as June 12th, 2006.

    Thank you!!!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    You can format the cell as

    mmmm dd, yyyy

    or if you do need the Ordinal numbers then enter your date in A2 and put the below in B2 and drag down

    =TEXT(A2,"mmmm")&" "&DAY(A2)&IF(INT(MOD(DAY(A2),100)/10)=1, "th", IF(MOD(DAY(A2),10)=1, "st", IF(MOD(DAY(A2),10)=2,"nd", IF(MOD(DAY(A2),10)=3, "rd","th"))))&" ,"&TEXT(A2,"YYYY")

    VBA Noob

  3. #3
    Thank you. I do have to keep the format in ordinal form.

    HOWEVER, i asked for the date to be displayed in the comment, not in another cell.

    Thank you!!

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Think you will need VBA code then

    VBA Noob

  5. #5
    Do you have an idea of how to do that?

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Sorry no.

    Think you will have to repost to that section for a answer.

    VBA Noob

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Comment Displays date

    This is quite crude, but seems to get the job done...

    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    ' This macro, placed in a WorkSheet module will automatically
    ' copy a cell's value over to it's comment box, formatted as Month Day (th),
    Year
    ' like June 1st, 2006, June 2nd, 2006, etc etc once the cell has been
    activated.
    On Error Resume Next
    If Day(ActiveCell.Value) = 1 Or Day(ActiveCell.Value) = 21 Or
    Day(ActiveCell.Value) = 31 Then
    ActiveCell.Comment.Text Text:=Format(ActiveCell.Value, "mmmm d") & "st, "
    & Format(ActiveCell.Value, "yyyy")
    Else
    If Day(ActiveCell.Value) = 2 Or Day(ActiveCell.Value) = 22 Then
    ActiveCell.Comment.Text Text:=Format(ActiveCell.Value, "mmmm d") & "nd, "
    & Format(ActiveCell.Value, "yyyy")
    Else
    If Day(ActiveCell.Value) = 3 Or Day(ActiveCell.Value) = 23 Then
    ActiveCell.Comment.Text Text:=Format(ActiveCell.Value, "mmmm d") & "rd, "
    & Format(ActiveCell.Value, "yyyy")
    Else
    ActiveCell.Comment.Text Text:=Format(ActiveCell.Value, "mmmm d") & "th, "
    & Format(ActiveCell.Value, "yyyy")

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  8. #8
    To what do I assign this macro to?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLR

  9. #9
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Comment Displays date

    You don't really have to "assign" this macro to anything, per se........it's
    a Worksheet Change Event macro and actuates automatically upon it's
    conditions being met......to install it

    Of course, do this first on a copy of your file, for safety......

    First Copy the macro out of the post, then Right-click on the Sheet Tab of
    the Sheet you wish it to operate on....then choose ViewCode.....a new window
    will pop up, this is the VBA Editor, or VBE. Move the mouse over the small
    windows at the top of the big window on the right until the helper prompt
    "Object" shows up, and click the arrow on that window and select
    "Worksheet"...........then move to the large window below and Paste the
    macro in there..........and that's it, it will run automatically from there
    on..........the only danger with this procedure is that sometimes the posting
    of a macro will cause "wordwrap" and some of one or more of the lines of code
    will drop down to the next line and will not function correctly......usually
    these lines will appear in RED, so just carefully backspace the front end of
    those lines until they back up to the line above..........that should do
    it.......

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3