Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

extracting digits to the right of a decima point

  1. #1
    steve
    Guest

    extracting digits to the right of a decima point

    Hi friends,
    have a question regarding excel. I have one column in which I have numbers
    like 7.5,7.25,etc. I also have numbers like 45,65,etc. I have succeded in
    extracting the left digits from numbers like 7.5 by using the left function
    in a IF Formula. I needed to extract only the left digit from numbers having
    value below 8. This I could do . Now my question is how to extract the digits
    to the right of the decimal point. Remember not all numbers have decimal
    points. numbers are varied from 7.5 to 65. I need to extract the right digits
    like 5 from 7.5 in numbers having decimals and not from whole numbers like
    55.any help will be greatly appreciated. Have a great day.
    thank you
    steve

  2. #2
    Tom Hutchins
    Guest

    RE: extracting digits to the right of a decima point

    The INT function truncates digits to the right of the decimal point, rather
    than rounding. Subtracting the truncated number from the original number
    leaves the decimal portion, if any.

    So, if B5 contains 45.975
    and B7 contains =INT(B5)
    B5 returns 45

    =B5 - B7 returns 0.975

    Hope this helps,

    Hutch

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    =IF(ISERROR(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(".",A1,1)+1)),"",LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(".",A1,1)+1))

    VBA Noob

Closed Thread