How should I do it?

  1. #1

    How should I do it?

    I have a list of six people who total different scores every day.
    I need to add the data to a chart based on who is on top and so forth.
    Currently I add there totals and then sort by highest to lowest in excel.
    Than I manually add it to a data sheet.
    Is there a way to add it constantly and have an auto update that finds the top and seconds and so forth.
    Eg
    Jim 100
    Bob 4500
    Sue 3000
    Tom 3500

    Will look like this after
    Bob 4500
    Tom 3500
    Sue 3000
    Jim 100

    First place gets 14 points to main score, second gets 9 points, third gets 8 and Jim gets 7

    So main board looks like this

    Jim 7
    Bob 14
    Sue 8
    Tom 9

  2. #2
    excelent
    Guest

    RE: How should I do it?

    if names in a2:a7

    C2=LARGE($B$2:$B$7,ROW()-1)
    D2=INDEX($A$2:$A$7,MATCH(C2,$B$2:$B$7,0))
    E2=14 E3=9 E4=8 E5=7 E6=? E7=?
    F2=C2+E2

    insert all formulas and copy down to row 7

  3. #3
    wow
    that's great, can I ask another question ?
    how can I get a static chart to read information linked with the name only?
    if I had ten different charts similar to the above one
    what formula would look for given name of say person on top of chart with 14? And so forth?

  4. #4
    excelent
    Guest

    Re: How should I do it?

    Im not quite sure what u mean,- can u explain som more :-)

  5. #5
    not sure why this wont work? it worked in c2 to c7?
    all i did was move it down the page to 56 to 63?

    =LARGE($B$56:$B$63,ROW()-1) gives #num

    =INDEX($A$56:$A$63,MATCH(C56,$B$56:$B$63,0)) gives #num

    as for the second question i wanted the person who got the most to have 14 points added to the master chart and the rest following in order, this will change daily but a snap shot is used to motivate them on who is in the lead in many areas.
    how do i collect that data from your sum in areas C D E 2 to 7 and have a static chart with all there names on that updates as the stats change?

  6. #6
    excelent
    Guest

    Re: How should I do it?

    ROW()-55 = 1 = the largest value

    =LARGE($B$56:$B$63,1) where 1 stands for the largest value
    =LARGE($B$56:$B$63,2) where 2 stans for the second large value
    so instead of writing all formulas manuels i use the ROW() function as counter

    so when ur data starts in ROW 56 u have to substract 55 to get 1 :

    =LARGE($B$56:$B$63,ROW()-55)

    The MATCH formula should be ok when the first is

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How should I do it?

    This will *start* with 1 *anywhere* you enter it, and increment as you copy
    down:

    =LARGE($B$56:$B$63,ROWS($1:1))

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    excelent
    Guest

    Re: How should I do it?

    try have Names to the left and value to right
    then select Names and values and then make ur chart

    C56=INDEX($A$56:$A$63,MATCH(D56,$B$56:$B$63,0))
    D56=LARGE($B$56:$B$63,ROW()-55)
    copy down

    By the way if 2 names have same value then the first name showing twise

    im trying to find a way to fix this

  9. #9
    excelent
    Guest

    Re: How should I do it?

  10. #10
    thank you for your time
    that worked for moving the sum around, great stuff
    and yes if there is a fix to the name duplicated due to same amount will be great, however you have saved me so much time
    i will look into this web site you have posted