formula to stay fixed on two columns as you add more columns

  1. #1

    Exclamation formula to stay fixed on two columns as you add more columns

    Hello,

    I have data on column B and C, column E is the output. I will be adding a new column once a week (therefore B becomes C and C --->D) However, i need the output on E to be the result whatever is on B and C...in other words I don't want the formula to 'fix' itself as I add new columns in front of B and C.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: formula to stay fixed on two columns as you add more columns

    usingexcel wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have data on column B and C, column E is the output. I will be
    > adding a new column once a week (therefore B becomes C and C --->D)
    > However, i need the output on E to be the result whatever is on B and
    > C...in other words I don't want the formula to 'fix' itself as I add
    > new columns in front of B and C.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Hi,

    You can use the INDIRECT function, so if your formula in column E is the SUM
    of, for example, B2:C5, you can modify your formula in this way:

    =SUM(INDIRECT("B2:C5"))

    So, it doesn't matter how many columns you insert, the formula will always
    sum the range inside the INDIRECT function.

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao