Language Indepedent Macro

  1. #1

    Language Indepedent Macro

    Hi,

    I am creating a macro sheet using Excel 97 macro functions like:

    English:
    =WORKBOOK.SELECT("Sample")
    =SELECT("R1C1:R10C2")
    =RUN("Macro1")
    =SELECT("R1C1:R10C2")
    =FORMAT.NUMBER("dd-mmm-yyyy")
    =RETURN()

    Dutch:
    =WORKBOOK.SELECT("Sample")
    =SELECT("R1K1:R10K2")
    =RUN("Macro1")
    =SELECT("R1K1:R10K2")
    =FORMAT.NUMBER("dd-mmm-jjjj")
    =RETURN()

    Spanish:
    =WORKBOOK.SELECT("Sample")
    =SELECT("L1C1:L10C2")
    =RUN("Macro1")
    =RETURN()

    As you can see above for each langauge i have to generate diffrent characters for the macro
    English:
    R1C1
    Italian:
    R1K1
    Spanish:
    L1C1
    The characters of the date format also changes for according to the locale.

    Could some one tell me how can i create language independent Macros in Excel 97 (No VBA macros), such that i generate macros only in english.
    And specify the language in some function as a parameter to excel.

    Thanks in Advance
    Arun

  2. #2
    Kevin McCartney
    Guest

    RE: Language Indepedent Macro

    Hi Arun,

    There's no need for these macros, Excel will convert the date format for
    you. You can perform this by changing your regional setting to a different
    country and see the result for yourself.

    HTH
    KM

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Language Indepedent Macro

    Arun,

    In VBA you can write the functions in English, and Excel automatically
    manages the localization.

    So you write

    Range("A1").Value = "=IF(G1="","",VLOOKUP(G1,A:B,2,FALSE))"

    and Excel would create say

    OM(G1="";"";LETARAD(G1;A:B;2;FALSKT))

    in a Swedish version.

    Bob Phillips