formula probles - so lost

  1. #1

    formula probles - so lost

    i posted this in general forum but i think its better suited here - i got a worksheet such as this:

    SequenceId Musician Initial YOB YOD Instrument
    1 Micheal A. 1975 1999 Chello
    2 Tom I. 1960 1989 Piano
    3 Hans J. 1982 2000 Piano
    4 Hans J. 1982 2000 Keyboard
    5 Hans J. 1982 2000 Orchestra

    I want to be able to retrieve every information sequenceid,initial yob,yod just by matching the name - i went through various match if, vlookup etc formulas but nothings working - at best i got the last matches but not all of the possibilities - for example i only get 5 j. hans 1982 2000 orchestra but not all of hans is 3 possibilities

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: formula probles - so lost

    Depending on what you're trying to do.........you might check out Data >
    Filter > Autofilter > then select the name from the drop-down arrow atop that
    column......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    i need a formula - i just want to search a name and recieve some of the information from the row that matches the name, i need multiple info back in some cases 0 thats the problem i can only get one row so far

    im guessing using something with the if function but im pretty lost

  4. #4
    Hi I'm new but have quite a good knowledge of excel...

    Have you thought about pivot tables?? I know you want a formula but....

    If you have the data split in to columns ie

    SequenceId, Musician, Initial, YOB, YOD & Instrument

    Then have the name in the page section and the admittedly it would be a count in the data area but you could have the rest of the data shown in the column area.

    Unfortunately I'm at work ATM and can't host pics but if you need to I can illustrate it better when I get home......

    Sorry if I didn't explain too well but sometimes it easier to point at stuff and have a play.

    HTH (a little)

  5. #5
    paul
    Guest

    Re: formula probles - so lost

    use vlookup across as many columns as you need to display all the columns.
    ie =vlookup(name,table,col2,false).In the next column
    =vlookup(name,table,col3,false).In the next column
    =vlookup(name,table,col4,false).
    and so on
    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  6. #6
    paul
    Guest

    Re: formula probles - so lost

    you need to filter or sort to find more than one row.Sorry i misundertood
    your question