fraction

  1. #1

    fraction

    hi members,

    I want to know is there any way in ms excel through which i could get desired result in sum or multiplication of fraction.
    say if i add following figures i want to get answer 641 by adjusting the fraction of all values accoringly.

    2.335325
    4.67065
    7.005975
    9.3413
    11.676625
    14.01195
    16.347275
    18.6826
    21.017925
    23.35325
    25.688575
    28.0239
    30.359225
    32.69455
    35.029875
    37.3652
    39.700525
    42.03585
    44.371175
    46.7065
    49.041825
    51.37715
    53.712475
    there sum should be 641 by adjusting all figures in the data accordingly.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor Excelenator's Avatar
    Wantagh, NY
    Set a cell that sums the amounts you listed. USe the Solver Addin to force the sum to be 641. This works great and even prepares a report that shows the original values and what they became.
    ONLY APPLIES TO VBA RESPONSES WHERE APPROPRIATE
    To insert code into the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
    1. Copy the code.
    2. Open workbook to paste code into.
    3. Right click any worksheet tab, select View Code
    4. VBE (Visual Basic Editor) opens to that sheets object
    5. You may change to another sheets object or the This Workbook object by double clicking it in the Project window
    6. In the blank space below the word "General" paste the copied code.

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: fraction

    So why and how do you get to 641?

    Bob Phillips

    "b166er" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor Excelenator's Avatar
    Wantagh, NY
    The Solver Add-in adjusts every number in the list until the cell that contains the sum formula is = 641

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: fraction

    Wouldn't you just take each number, divide it by the total of those numbers,
    and multiply it by 641?

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: fraction

    That might cause the integer parts to change as well. Maybe (even likely) that doesn't matter, but it's not what the OP asked.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten
    Microsoft MVP - Excel