Help Requested

  1. #1
    kirkm
    Guest

    Help Requested

    Hello,

    Suddenly for no reason I can fathom, Excels 'Import Data'
    is grayed out.

    It isn't on a 'new' instance of Excel, but I wish to add to an
    existing spreadsheet.

    It's not only on the current one, but on *all* my backups - even
    though they were ok when used previously.

    Can someone please explain how I might re-enable Import
    Data.? I really need to get this work done !

    Many thanks - Kirk

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    North Carolina
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 & 2007
    My only guess: Are the sheets are protected? I know that will block imports.

  3. #3
    ward376
    Guest

    Re: Help Requested

    You may already have an import where you're trying to put a new import.
    When data is returned to XL, a named range is created and new
    queries/imports can't be created within the range - see what named
    ranges are on the sheet and create your new import outside of them.

  4. #4
    kirkm
    Guest

    Re: Help Requested

    Hi Ward,

    I think you're onto it. It is a continuation of more imports.

    The Data-Import External Data - does allow "Edit Query' and
    'Data Range Properties'. The latter shows one entry, If I try and
    delete this I'm told 'Bad Name for Query'.

    If I attempt changes to Data range I'm told:
    A query with this name already exists on this sheet
    or it accepts a made-up name but keeps Import grayed out.

    The Edit Query option shows stuff I don't understand. I can't delete
    it (OK becomes unavailable). I can edit it but don't know what it
    wants.

    Any further assistance would be much appreciated.

    Thanks - Kirk

  5. #5
    ward376
    Guest

    Re: Help Requested

    If you want to add a query to a sheet with an existing query, select
    the existing query range using the name drop down, then select a cell
    outside of that range and create your new query.