User switching between sheets while data is being logged

  1. #1

    Unhappy User switching between sheets while data is being logged

    Hello and thanks very much for any help you might give me,

    I wrote a VBA which collects and logs data coming in through a serial port. The data is being logged into several different excel sheets. But while it is logging, the user cannot actively switch between the sheets to view its progress. Does anyone know of a way to do this???

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: User switching between sheets while data is being logged

    Steve,

    I think you would need to use the Ontime event to schedule the data-logging macro to be run again:
    If once a second is good....

    Sub DoData()
    NextTime = Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
    'Do your data logging here, just once
    Application.OnTime NextTime, "DoData"
    End Sub

    Sub StopLogging()
    Application.OnTime NextTime, "DoData", schedule:=False
    End Sub

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP