+ Reply to Thread

How can I create slanted headers?

Smile How can I create slanted headers?

Hello,
    At work today I was asked to create a spread sheet with products and they want the colums on the top to say the name of the product in a slanted lined format. I am not sure what this is called and I am not sure how to explain it with out showing what I mean.

But instead if striaght up and down lines on the top the need to be slanted on an angel when you type the text in the texts types straight accrossed but when you are done typing it goies up on that angle in the lines. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do this. I have a few books on excel yet I can not find the answer.

Any help would be wonderful.

Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by photo_angel2004
    Hello,
    At work today I was asked to create a spread sheet with products and they want the colums on the top to say the name of the product in a slanted lined format. I am not sure what this is called and I am not sure how to explain it with out showing what I mean.

But instead if striaght up and down lines on the top the need to be slanted on an angel when you type the text in the texts types straight accrossed but when you are done typing it goies up on that angle in the lines. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do this. I have a few books on excel yet I can not find the answer.

Any help would be wonderful.
    Hi photo,

See if this helps.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...097991033.aspx
    Thx
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"

Yes thank you

yes that is a big help thank you very much.

I was looking at this book a week ago but I wasnt sure if it would have what I was looking for I already have the step by step microsoft office system and the step by step excel but that info isnt in those books.

I just may have to buy this one:

This article is excerpted from Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Inside Out by Craig Stinson and Mark

Thank you again!

Biff

Re: How can I create slanted headers?

Hi!

Select the cell(s) in question.
    Goto the menu Format>Cells>Alignment tab
    On the right side you'll see Orientation
    Either "grab" the dial with your mouse and drag to the desired angle or use
    the spinner buttons.

Biff

"photo_angel2004"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Hello,
    > At work today I was asked to create a spread sheet with products and
    > they want the colums on the top to say the name of the product in a
    > slanted lined format. I am not sure what this is called and I am not
    > sure how to explain it with out showing what I mean.
    >
    > But instead if striaght up and down lines on the top the need to be
    > slanted on an angel when you type the text in the texts types straight
    > accrossed but when you are done typing it goies up on that angle in the
    > lines. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do
    > this. I have a few books on excel yet I can not find the answer.
    >
    > Any help would be wonderful.
    >
    >
    > --
    > photo_angel2004
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > photo_angel2004's Profile:
    > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292
    >

Ok I thought that helped but not really

Ok now I can get the line but I cant get the text to go with them the text is all over the place.

Forum Contributor
    Ok now I can get the line but I cant get the text to go with them the text is all over the place.
    Hi Photo,
    That isn't very informative.

Just do what Biff said or read the link and apply a border to the cells.

thats not working here though I can get the slanted lines.... that part is good.

I can not get the text to match it though.

The text needs to be centered and the text is all over the place or slanted but not centered in the lines and doesnt match the lines. I am lost.

Thanks

Forum Contributor
    thats not working here though I can get the slanted lines.... that part is good.

I can not get the text to match it though.

The text needs to be centered and the text is all over the place or slanted but not centered in the lines and doesnt match the lines. I am lost.

Thanks
    Hi photo,

Maybe your row height needs to be adjusted.

no that is not working if I ajust the size of the cells the text gets worse not better.

I dont know how to explaine this without a screen shot.

On the top of each colum I need the header lines to be slanted.... that part I can get. I can not get the text to match it though. the text is either right on the line to the left or the text is all over the place I can not get it centered inbtween the Slanted lines, it seems to center from the center of the cell and not inbtween the slanted lines. There are a lot of settings I have tried them all and moved the cells longer and shorted only for the text to appear worse.

I just can not seem to get it to look like the one in the picture of that link in the first reply.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

What I am shooting for is the Middle pic on this link:

Last edited by photo_angel2004; 08-08-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Forum Contributor
    no that is not working if I ajust the size of the cells the text gets worse not better.

I dont know how to explaine this without a screen shot.

On the top of each colum I need the header lines to be slanted.... that part I can get. I can not get the text to match it though. the text is either right on the line to the left or the text is all over the place I can not get it centered inbtween the Slanted lines, it seems to center from the center of the cell and not inbtween the slanted lines. There are a lot of settings I have tried them all and moved the cells longer and shorted only for the text to appear worse.

I just can not seem to get it to look like the one in the picture of that link in the first reply.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

What I am shooting for is the Middle pic on this link:

Hi photo,

Ok so you have the borders correct right?

The text format you don't have any wrap or something like that do you?

Try again.
    Select the cells you are using then;
    Go to Format>Alignment>

Horizontal should be >Center
    Vertical should be >Center
    The angle should be pointing up (not down) at about 45 degrees
    No Wrap,Merge, Or Shrink should be ticked.

How does that work?

Ok now I got the text to go the right way but as soon as I am done typing the boarder lines dissapear and dont come back. I just cant win with this.

I either get the lines or the text not both this can not be that hard to do.

yet for the past 3 hours I cant figure it out. Is there any way to post a screen shot? This is next to impossible to explain.

OK I think I got it now WOW LOL

OK so I make the slanted boarders then set the test at 45 degree angle and then when I type the letters are right but the slants go away so then when I click on the Boxed boarder the come back again this time slanted. I got it! I cant belive something so simple is so hard to figure out.

Thank you,
    Last edited by photo_angel2004; 08-08-2006 at 01:01 AM.

Forum Contributor
    Ok now I got the text to go the right way but as soon as I am done typing the boarder lines dissapear and dont come back. I just cant win with this.

I either get the lines or the text not both this can not be that hard to do.

yet for the past 3 hours I cant figure it out. Is there any way to post a screen shot? This is next to impossible to explain.
    Can you send me a sample and short explanation of what you want to see?
    TAKETHISOUT of my email address and of course put a . for DOT

PiranhaTAKETHISOUT488@aolDOTcom

I got it to work thank you, my last question is now that I have my colums with my slanted lines and the text right thank god. LOL

Is there a way to format this document for all pages to have that same header on the top.

What I mean is each colum header is a product.
    now the list that will go in rows benieth them is long.... 12 pages long.

They need the top headers with the slants to be on the top of each page so its easy to read without having to go back to the first page to see the products. ??

Forum Contributor
    I got it to work thank you, my last question is now that I have my colums with my slanted lines and the text right thank god. LOL

Is there a way to format this document for all pages to have that same header on the top.

What I mean is each colum header is a product.
    now the list that will go in rows benieth them is long.... 12 pages long.

They need the top headers with the slants to be on the top of each page so its easy to read without having to go back to the first page to see the products. ??

Well, That would have been something to know ahead of time.

If you right click on the sheet tab at the bottom.

Then select "Select all sheets"

This will select all the sheets and the tabs will kinda turn white.

Then what ever you do to the first sheet will also happen on the other sheets.

Or you can hold down "ctr" and then select the sheets you want, if you don't want all of them selected.

Click on a tab to UNSELECT when you are through, or every thing else you do will go to those sheets also.

Or you could select the rows you have done, then copy and go to the other sheets and paste.

Or if you just want the format with out the text you could select the cells you have done, then Double Click the format painter. Then go to the other sheets and click in the cell where you want the format.

Also you may want to Freeze panes so the formated row stays visable, as you scroll down. Put your curser in the left cell, in the row below your formated row. Then go to Window>Freeze Panes
    Last edited by Desert Piranha; 08-08-2006 at 01:42 AM.

Talking

thank you so much that helps a lot.

Forum Contributor
    thank you so much that helps a lot.
    Hi photo,

Very glad you got it working. Sorry it took so long.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information