divide all numbers in range by a fixed number

  1. #1

    divide all numbers in range by a fixed number

    I want to be able to type numbers into fields and have Excel automatically divide that number by .88 in order to obtain a selling price for our inventory.

    I think I am making this a lot harder than it really is.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: divide all numbers in range by a fixed number

    You can do it while you enter by using event code which can be copy/pasted from
    here to a sheet module.

    Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Paste the code into that module.

    'when entering data in any cell in Col A
    On Error GoTo enditall
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Target.Cells.Column = 1 Then
    n = Target.Row
    If Excel.Range("A" & n).Value <> "" Then
    Excel.Range("A" & n).Value = Excel.Range("A" & n).Value / 0.88
    enditall:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    Alternative...........enter all the numbers then place .88 in an empty cell and
    copy that cell.

    Select all the number cells and Paste Special>Divide>OK>Esc.

    Delete the cell with the .88

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Manoj
    Guest

    RE: divide all numbers in range by a fixed number

    Take an empty cell... Type in "0.88"... copy... highlight all the cells that
    has to be divided by this number... right click...paste special... select the
    divide check box... ok

    See if this works... This can be used for all operators... i.e.,
    add/subtract/multiply or divide.

    manoj