IF function

  1. #1

    IF function

    Hi,

    I need some help creating an IF function. I have a list of salary brackets e.g A 0 - 10,000
    B 10,000 - 20,000
    C 20,000 - 30,000
    D 30,000 - 40,000
    etc

    On a seperate spreadsheet i have different cells with peoples salaries in. In a seperate cell underneath their salary cells, i have an empty cell that needs to have the relevant letter in that shows which band they fall into A,B,C,D etc.

    What i need is an IF function in the blank cell that will automatically come up when a persons salary is typed in.

    E.g : - if i type in 24,000 into the salary cell, i want the blank cell to then come up with the letter C.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Expert oldchippy's Avatar
    Worcester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Posts
    7,097

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by girth69
    Hi,

    I need some help creating an IF function. I have a list of salary brackets e.g A 0 - 10,000
    B 10,000 - 20,000
    C 20,000 - 30,000
    D 30,000 - 40,000
    etc

    On a seperate spreadsheet i have different cells with peoples salaries in. In a seperate cell underneath their salary cells, i have an empty cell that needs to have the relevant letter in that shows which band they fall into A,B,C,D etc.

    What i need is an IF function in the blank cell that will automatically come up when a persons salary is typed in.

    E.g : - if i type in 24,000 into the salary cell, i want the blank cell to then come up with the letter C.

    Thanks
    Hi girth69,

    If your salary is in A1, in A2 you want someting like this

    =IF(A1>30000,"D",IF(A1>20000,"C",IF(A1>10000,"B",IF(A1>0,"A",""))))

    oldchippy

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: IF function

    If the salary is in A1, then

    =CHAR(65+INT(A1/10000))

    This is good for 5,000 => A
    thru
    255,000 => Z
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    The CHAR function looks pretty good. if i type the complete list of catergories could you please give me the required formula. Thanks,

    exceeding 70,000 A
    65,000 – 70,000 B
    60,000 – 65,000 C
    55,000 – 60,000 D
    50,000 - 55,000 E
    45,000 – 50,000 F
    40,000 – 45,000 G
    35,000 – 40,000 H
    30,000 – 35,000 I
    25,000 – 30,000 J
    20,000 – 25,000 K
    15,000 – 20,000 L
    less than 15,000 M

  5. #5
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: IF function

    Use:

    =CHAR(MIN(MAX(INT(16-A1/5000),1),13)+64)

    to obtain:

    99,000 A
    67,500 B
    62,500 C
    57,500 D
    52,500 E
    47,500 F
    42,500 G
    37,500 H
    32,500 I
    27,500 J
    22,500 K
    17,500 L
    12,000 M

    --
    Gary's Student

  6. #6
    jts
    Guest

    IF function

    Hi maybe you guys can helpme. I have an if function that is comparing to
    dates say in A1 and B1 (A1=B1). if true it returns the value in cell C1
    (240). If false I want it to do nothing. That is the part I am have problems
    with. Leaving False blank causes cell C1 value to change. I want cell C1 to
    remain the number it is untill the dates in A1=B1. Any help would be
    appreciated.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by jts
    Hi maybe you guys can helpme. I have an if function that is comparing to
    dates say in A1 and B1 (A1=B1). if true it returns the value in cell C1
    (240). If false I want it to do nothing. That is the part I am have problems
    with. Leaving False blank causes cell C1 value to change. I want cell C1 to
    remain the number it is untill the dates in A1=B1. Any help would be
    appreciated.
    Where does the C1 value come from originally?

  8. #8
    jts
    Guest

    Re: IF function

    C1 is a number that is manually entered on another sheet and is changed on a
    daily bases. Correction to previous. this formula would be located in say D1.
    I want D1 to up date to reflect the value of C1 only when the dates in A1=B1.
    If A1 is not + B1 I want d1 to reflect the last value of c1.