Save as filename cell DETAILS!B2 value

  1. #1

    Save as filename cell DETAILS!B2 value

    I've tried searching, perhaps not long enough, for a pre-written macro code that, when you save the file as, the filename is automatically the value in a particular cell of a particular sheet.

    I have no experience with macros, and changing the codes I HAVE found to work for me has been of little success

    The file is a template for invoices, and on one sheet (named DETAILS) in cell B2 is the invoice number we enter - so when the file is saved I want the filename to be that number!

    How would I write the code, but then also save it and make sure it runs whenever the file is open?

    Any help much appreciated

    Thanks
    Alex

  2. #2
    DaveO
    Guest

    RE: Save as filename cell DETAILS!B2 value

    Set up a variable and then use that...

    ---------

    Dim strFileName as String

    Sheets("DETAILS").Activate
    strFileName = Range("B2").Text

    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= {ENTER FILE LOCATION HERE} & strFileName &
    ".xls"
    -----------------

    This should work for you. You must note that the File location must be in "
    marks and must end with a \ bfore strFileName.

    HTH.

  3. #3
    Sorry but I'm slight confused:

    What is a 'variable'?

    And the code:
    Dim strFileName as String

    Sheets("DETAILS").Activate
    strFileName = Range("B2").Text

    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= {C:\Invoice\strFileName} & strFileName &
    ".xls"

    I could not get to work using VB. I honestly have no idea what I am doing here

    Thanks
    Alex