VLookup & Case Sensitivity

  1. #1
    KHogwood-Thompson
    Guest

    VLookup & Case Sensitivity

    Hi All,

    I am trying to compare two spreadsheets of text strings, I only want to find
    those that match content and case. Currently Excel says that they match even
    if the case is not matching ie

    Follow Up is not the same as Follow up

    But with my current standard vlookup statement, Excel returns these values
    as matching.

    Please can someone help.

    Thanks
    --
    K Hogwood-Thompson

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    try this

    =IF(EXACT(K4,VLOOKUP(K4,I5:J11,1,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(K4,I5:J11,2,FALSE))

    change references accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by KHogwood-Thompson

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: VLookup & Case Sensitivity

    One way ..

    Assume you're using this in B1, with B1 copied down:
    =VLOOKUP(A1,$E$1:$F$10,2,0)

    Try placing this instead in B1, then array-enter the formula by pressing
    CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, instead of just pressing ENTER:
    =IF(A1="","",INDEX($F$1:$F$10,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(FIND(A1,$E$1:$E$10)),0)))
    Copy B1 down

    Adapt the ranges to suit ..
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4

    Re: VLookup & Case Sensitivity

    One more...

    =INDEX(Sheet2!B1:B999,MATCH(TRUE,EXACT(A1,Sheet2!A1:A999),0))

    them yourself.)

    Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

  5. #5
    KHogwood-Thompson
    Guest

    Re: VLookup & Case Sensitivity