Help! I want to fill cells as a result of selecting a value from a list in another cell.

  1. #1
    Tricky
    Guest

    Help! I want to fill cells as a result of selecting a value from a list in another cell.

    As above really...

    I have got as far as creating drop down lists for a cell, but I would
    like to fill cells to the right of that cell depending on what value I
    chose in the first cell. I hope that makes sense?!

    For example if I choose 'X' in cell A1, then A2 fills with 'Y' and A3
    fills with 'Z'.

    I'm sure this is straight forward.. but can't find it...

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Richard.

  2. #2
    in a2 type "=if(A1=x;y;0)" and in a3 type "=if(A1=x;y;0)"

    im guessing x,y and z are values...

  3. #3
    Tricky
    Guest

    Re: Help! I want to fill cells as a result of selecting a value from a list in another cell.

    Hurtige,

    Thanks for the response. I think I should expand further...

    In a separate worksheet, I have created lists of data that are to be
    referenced in my main worksheet as a drop-down list in a particular
    cell. In this instance the first list is a list of part codes. I then
    have two further lists which are the part description and then the part
    cost. At the moment I have to select a part code in one cell, then
    manually match up the part description in the second cell, and then
    manually find the cost in the third cell.

    What I want to happen is that I select a part code, and the description
    and cost get auto filled out for that part code.

    I can see that your formula would work for this, but I have a list of
    nearly 300 partcodes! Is there a more simple way of linking lists
    together? The lists are in the right order in their separate columns
    so I'm assmuing there should be a way of linking the lists....

    I hope all that makes sense!

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Help! I want to fill cells as a result of selecting a value fr

    You can achieve what you're after with either VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH

    Try Debra's nice coverage on VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH at her:

    VLOOKUP

    INDEX/MATCH

    There's also some sample workbooks available for d/l & study

    IMHO .. INDEX/MATCH would usually be a more versatile option compared with
    VLOOKUP which requires that the lookup column be the leftmost col, albeit
    this may not be a problem if the key col in the mastersheet is always the
    first col (say). We can also directly index the col to be returned using
    INDEX/MATCH [eg INDEX(H:H, ...)] whilst with VLOOKUP, we need to figure out
    ("count") the relevant col_index_num. But VLOOKUP is simpler to understand,
    and usually shorter in construct. It's good to know and try out both options.

    --
    Max
    Singapore

  5. #5
    Tricky
    Guest

    Re: Help! I want to fill cells as a result of selecting a value fr

    Excellent - Thanks Max, this looks like the stuff I need.

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Help! I want to fill cells as a result of selecting a value fr

    Good to hear that !
    Think you'd find lots of other useful stuff in Debra's site ..

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Help! I want to fill cells as a result of selecting a value from a list in another cell.

    Tricky

    VLOOKUP is designed for this.

    See Debra Dalgleish's site for much on VLOOKUP and example workbook.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP