how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

  1. #1
    George
    Guest

    how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

    Ladies and Gentlemen:

    In my worksheet, I have a column with all cells in that column locked
    (It is a must and I CAN NOT unlock any cell in that column). There are
    a few cells UNDER OTHER COLUMNS unlocked for user to input their data.
    Then the whole worksheet is password-protected. My question is how to
    allow user to copy one ROW and paste it into another row without
    unprotect the worksheet? Please keep it in mind that there is at least
    one cell in EACH ROW locked where user CAN NOT modify the value in that
    cell.

    Thanks for your help!

    George

  2. #2
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    One way would be to provide a special version of the copy function which, in the background, unprotected the sheet, did the transformation and then reapplied the protection.

    You would also need to protect the macro itself to prevent the user running it in break mode.
    Martin

  3. #3
    George
    Guest

    Re: how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

    Appriciate. But I don't know how. Could you please show me in more
    details?

    Thanks for your help!

    George
    **************************

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Vancouver

    Macro: Copy Unprotected cells

    I have written the following macro that copies from all the unprotected cells in the active cell row and pastes to the corresponding cells in another row.

    The benefit of doing this as opposed to simply unlocking the destination range, pasting and locking it again is that there is no guarantee that the locked cells in the destination range are blank or contain exact copies of the formulas in the source range.

    DISCLAIMER/WARNING:

    This is brand new code, so please use extreme caution, and make multiple backups of your file before you start to test.

    Option Explicit
    Sub CopyUnlocked()

    Dim DestRow As Integer

    DestRow = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Enter Destination Row", Title:="DestinationRow", Type:=1)
    Dim c As Range
    Dim DestRange As Range
    Dim rng As Range

    Range("$A$" & ActiveCell.Row).Select
    Set c = ActiveCell

    If (c.Locked) Then
    Do Until Not (c.Locked)

    If c.Column = 256 Then
    Exit Do
    End If

    Set c = c.Offset(0, 1)
    Loop
    End If

    Do While c.Column < 257

    If (c.Locked) Then
    Do Until Not (c.Locked)
    If c.Column = 256 Then
    Exit Do
    End If
    Set c = c.Offset(0, 1)
    Loop
    End If

    Set rng = c
    Set DestRange = c.Offset(DestRow - c.Row, 0)

    Do Until (c.Locked)

    Set c = c.Offset(0, 1)

    If (c.Locked) Then
    Exit Do ' Exit the do until loop
    End If

    Set rng = Union(rng, c)

    If c.Column = 256 Then
    Exit Do ' exit the do until loop
    End If

    Loop

    rng.Copy
    DestRange.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
    Range("$A$" & DestRange.Row).Select

    If c.Column = 256 Then
    Exit Do ' exit the do WHILE loop
    End If

    Set c = c.Offset(0, 1)
    Set rng = c
    Set DestRange = c.Offset(DestRow - c.Row, 0)

    Loop
    End Sub

  5. #5
    George
    Guest

    Re: how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

    Hi, CaptainQuattro:

    I test your code, but it doesn't work. It show RED with the part of "
    DestRow = Application.InputBox (Prompt:="Enter Destination Row",
    Title:="DestinationRow", Type:=1)

    Could you please test it from your excel worksheet? For example, unlock
    all cells under COLUMN A and lock all cells under COLUMN B, input
    random numbers in row 1, then protect the worksheet with password
    "CAPTAIN". Save, close and re-open the worksheet. Try to copy row 1 and
    paste it into row 2.

    Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

    George

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Vancouver
    George:

    I tested the macro by

    copying the code back from my posting to a new workbook (Just in case something got messed up in the process of posting it.)

    Unlocking column A
    Unlocking column C through IV
    Protecting the worksheet
    Saving the workbook, closing and re-loading it.

    It worked for me under these conditions.

    If anyone has any ideas to improve this macro, please feel free to dive in.

    Regards.

  7. #7
    George
    Guest

    Re: how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

    Hi, CaptainQuattro:

    I need to buy you a meal if you are in Houston to thank you for your
    time and efforts in helping me out.We are close but not yet. Here is
    what I did:

    1) open a new workbook called Book 1, create a new macro button called
    "CopyUnlocked", copy and paste your code into that module 1, hit Alt+Q
    to go back to excel;
    2) lock all cells under column B and unlock all cells under any other
    columns;
    3) put 11 in cell A1, 22 in cell B1, 33 in cell C1, put 999 in cell
    IV1;
    4) protect "sheet1" by a password;
    5) Save, close and re-open the file;
    6) position the cursor to row 1 and right click it, select function
    "copy" to copy the WHOLE ROW 1, click the macro button we just made,
    enter 2 to respond the message box "Enter Destination Row". It does
    copy values in the unlocked cells in row 1 and paste it into the
    corresponding cells in row 2. The problem is I also want to copy values
    in locked cells in row 1 (B1 in our example) and paste it into row 2
    (B2).

    How to solve this problem? Remember that my task is to copy the whole
    row 1 and paste it into whole row 2 no matter the cells in row 1 or row
    2 are locked or not. This means the information in row 1 and row 2 are
    identical from column A throught column IV.

    Again, I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing from you
    soon! Please keep it in mind taht I reserve a meal for you no matter
    you can figure out this or not! If you would like, I can e-mail you my
    contact information with my telephone number in.

    Thanks again and have a great day!

    George
    **************************************************************************************************************

    George:

  8. #8
    George
    Guest

    Re: how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

    Hi, CaptainQuattro:

    Sorry, one more point:

    What if I want to copy from another workbook or worksheet and paste the
    information into this protected worksheet? The information need to
    paste might be in the locked cell.

    Thanks,

    George

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    Vancouver

    2 new macros

    Ok George, I think I've got it.

    Martin Rice was right that you need a macro that unlocks and re-locks the sheet.

    I have written 2 new macros: One for copying and pasting within the same worksheet, and the other for copying from an external worksheet to the current sheet.

    It occurred to me that there is a danger of accidentally pasting over a row of good data, therefore I have included the following protection:

    Column IV can be unlocked.
    On each row of good data, column IV should contain the letter "P" (uppercase). The macros will not paste onto a row that contains this flag in column IV. If the user needs to override this feature, he or she can do so by clearing the 'P' on that row.

    If you don't want to trust the users, you can leave column IV locked so that the users have to call you to unprotect the worksheet and clear the P.

    Because the code includes the password to unprotect the sheet, you should paste the code into a button from the Control toolbox toolbar, not from the Forms toolbar. When the sheet is protected it will not be possible for users to right click the button and see the code.

    After creating the buttons, click on each one's properties and change the names to CopyRow and CopyExternalRow.

    Option Explicit

    Private Sub CopyExternalRow_Click()
    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="captain"
    On Error GoTo errhandle

    Dim iSourceRow As Integer
    Dim iDestRow As Integer
    Dim sDestRow As String
    Dim sSourceRow As String
    Dim sSourceBook As String

    Dim sSourceSheet As String
    Dim sDestBook As String

    sDestBook = ThisWorkbook.Name
    sSourceBook = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Enter Workbook to copy from" & Chr$(13) & "do not include file extension (e.g. .xls)", Title:="SourceBook", Type:=2) & ".xls"
    sSourceSheet = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Enter Sheet to copy from", Title:="SourceSheet", Type:=2)
    iSourceRow = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Enter Row to copy from", Title:="SourceRow", Type:=1)
    sSourceRow = "$" & iSourceRow & ":$" & iSourceRow
    iDestRow = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Enter Destination Row", Title:="DestinationRow", Type:=1)
    sDestRow = "$" & iDestRow & ":$" & iDestRow

    'To prevent accidentally overwriting existing data, column IV of the worksheet should be unprotected
    'and you should enter the letter P in column IV of each row that you want to protect. The macro will
    'automatically enter a 'P' in column IV of your destination row.

    If Range("IV" & iDestRow).Value = "P" Then
    MsgBox "Row " & iDestRow & " is marked as protected." & Chr$(13) & "Clear cell IV" & iDestRow & " to overwrite contents of row " & iDestRow
    End

    Else
    End If

    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="captain"
    Windows(sSourceBook).Activate
    ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(sSourceSheet).Range(sSourceRow).Copy
    Windows(sDestBook).Activate

    Range(sDestRow).PasteSpecial xlPasteAll
    Range("IV" & iDestRow).Value = "P"

    errhandle:
    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="captain"

    End Sub

    Private Sub CopyRow_Click()
    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="captain"
    On Error GoTo errhandle

    Dim iDestRow As Integer
    Dim sDestRow As String
    Dim sSourceRow As String

    sSourceRow = "$" & ActiveCell.Row & ":$" & ActiveCell.Row
    iDestRow = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Enter Destination Row", Title:="DestinationRow", Type:=1)

    'To prevent accidentally overwriting existing data, column IV of the worksheet should be unprotected
    'and you should enter the letter P in column IV of each row that you want to protect. The macro will
    'automatically enter a 'P' in column IV of your destination row.

    If Range("IV" & iDestRow).Value = "P" Then
    MsgBox "Row " & iDestRow & " is marked as protected." & Chr$(13) & "Clear cell IV" & iDestRow & " to overwrite contents of row " & iDestRow
    End

    Else
    End If

    sDestRow = "$" & iDestRow & ":$" & iDestRow

    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="captain"

    Range(sSourceRow).Copy

  10. #10
    George
    Guest

    Re: how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

    Hi, CaptainQauttro:

    You are really knowledgable in Excel. However, nothing happens after I
    tested your code under the procedures you specified. Would you please
    test it to see where is the problem? You might do it already before you
    post this message.

    In the meantime, it might be a good idea that we just hide several
    columns without protect the worksheet (for example, from column H to
    Column IV) such that user CAN NOT unhide those hidden columns. This
    means that Column A to column G is the ONLY area for user to MANUALLY
    input their stuff. In saying so, I still want to allow user to

    1) insert a blank row;
    2) delete any row he or she does not need;
    3) copy a whole row (say row 1 which certainlly includes hidden
    contents) both internally and externally, and paste the information
    onto another row.

    If we can achieve the above successfully, we do not need to worry about
    the worksheet protection problem. But I might be totally wrong. How do
    you think about it? Is there anyway we can do this?

    My e-mail is [email protected] and my telephone number is (713)948-4025.
    You can call me or e-mail me anytime you want. It will not bother at
    all. I trust you are an excellent person doing great in everything!

    Thank again for your time and efforts. Best wishes to you and your
    family!

    George

  11. #11
    Forum Contributor
    Vancouver
    George:

    I will send you a copy of my working model.

    But it sounds as if the following would work better for you:

    Have a separate, completely unprotected sheet for user input and a fully protected sheet that uses formulas to reflect what the user has input.

    If you use =OFFSET formulas on your protected sheet, the users will be free to insert and delete rows and columns on the input sheet at will without corrupting the protected sheet.

    For example, enter the following formula in cell A1 of Sheet1:

    =OFFSET(Sheet2!$A$1,ROWS($A$1:D3)-1,COLUMNS($A$1:D3)-1)

    and copy this formula to the range A1:H20000

    Enter whatever other formulas you need in columns I through IV

    Use Tools > Options > View and un-check Zero values.

    Protect Sheet1 with password.

    Hope this helps.

  12. #12
    George
    Guest

    Re: how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

    Hi, CaptainQuattro:

    Thank you so much for the quick response. I will test it tomorrow and
    let you know the result! Good night!

    Best personal regards,

    George
    ************************************

  13. #13
    George
    Guest

    Re: how to copy and paste in a protected worksheet

    Hi, CaptainQuattro:

    I sent you an attachment to your personal mail box. Whenever you have a
    chance, please take a look.

    Thank you so much!

    George