Write/Print Statements, and date formats

  1. #1

    Write/Print Statements, and date formats

    Hi everyone

    I'm using the Write and Print statements to write out data from an Excel spreadsheet to text files that need a very specific format.

    When I have cell in the Excel spreadsheet which is a Date Type, the format of the value is not written out the way I want it. I want the output text file to look exactly the way it looks in the Excel spreadsheet. I may have a cell formatted as "[hh]:mm:ss". But a cell with "00:00:00" then looks like just "0" in the text file. And a cell that looks like "-00:00:05" in the Excel spreadsheet shows up as "-5.78703703703704E-05" in the text file..

    How can I tell VBA to write out the cell value exactly as it appears in the worksheet?

    If I use "Save As" to save the file as a .csv file, it DOES print the cell values exactly the way they appear in the cells. This is what I want. (Unfortunately, my text files also have to contain a bunch of other formatting that the "Save As" function can not do, so I need my own program to do it.)

    Please let me know if you have any ideas.
    Thanks!

    Emma

  2. #2

    Re: Write/Print Statements, and date formats

    My bet is you're writing .value. Try writing .text.

    mycell.value
    is replaced with
    mycell.Text

  3. #3
    Ah.... Thank you!!!!!

    I love when there are such simple solutions :-) :-)
    Emma