Mathematic problem solving using Excel

  1. #1
    Stonewall
    Guest

    Mathematic problem solving using Excel

    I may be asked this fall to teach mathematics to a high school class & I
    thought it would be fun for the students to see how easily a program such as
    Excel could be used to duplicate much of what calculus does when approaching
    a problem such as finding maximum & minimum along a complex curve. Problem
    is I’ve not discovered how to get Excel to enter a logic loop and jump out of
    said loop when the logic conditions have been met. Will someone offer a
    source of information on this subject, especially an example of how it’s done
    so that I may use this example in my lesson plan? I’ve got many really fun
    calculus problems that I’ve solved using several other languages, but since
    most of these students are using Excel already, why not use it to teach them
    the simple technique of programming using it.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    Have a look at the solver tool in the help menus, this is how excel tackles problems like this

    regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Stonewall
    Guest

    Re: Mathematic problem solving using Excel