Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Excel "Calculating Cells"...

  1. #1
    Dublin, Ireland

    Excel "Calculating Cells"...

    hi folks

    Since including some VBA & macros in my Excel sheet performance of my Excel file has slowed considerably. It appears Excel is "calculating cells" for any values I drop & drag in each sheet...The VBA code is a series of loop, else, if etc...

    Performance of the workbook is now very slow..

    Rather than post all the VBA & macro code here are there any "rules of thumb" to look out for...

    I don't want to set "Calculation" to manual in the book...

    thanks for the help..(I know I'm not giving much to go by...)

    rgds
    Conor

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Excel "Calculating Cells"...

    First look at Charles William's site:

    www.decisionmodels.com

    If you still have problems, do post your code

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pflugs
    Guest

    RE: Excel "Calculating Cells"...

    Try wrapping your macros with the following:

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

    Good luck,
    pflugs

  4. #4
    Forum Expert mikerickson's Avatar
    Davis CA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2011
    Posts
    6,229
    Setting calculation to Manual can be done in VB.

    is a standard way to speed up code.
    If you need a calculation to occur in your routine the line
    can be added.

    Does your workbook include a Worksheet_Change event? or a Worksheet_SelectionChange event?
    Those codes might be slowing things.

    Selecting cells unnessesarily (i.e. most of the time) slows code.

    Looping through reading/writing to a spreadsheet slows code amazingly.

    is much, much faster (about an order of magnitude) than
    Last edited by mikerickson; 09-06-2007 at 07:38 PM.

  5. #5
    Forum Expert royUK's Avatar
    Derbyshire,UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Xp; 2007; 2010
    Posts
    26,200
    Try to avoid Loops where possible, Select Case statements can be more efficient & easier to read than Ifs and ElseIfs.

    Also, you mention dropping data into sheets. Is this necessary? Consider Excel's inbuilt features such as Filtering, PivotTables etc before moving data around. They are faster than any VBA you can write.
    Hope that helps.

    RoyUK
    --------
    For Excel Tips & Solutions, free examples and tutorials why not check out my web site

    Free DataBaseForm example

Closed Thread