Defining text valves

  1. #1

    Defining text valves

    I have a part number that is 2002-A-BB-MS where
    2002=Solenoid Valve
    A=2-way NC
    BB=Brass

    I want to be able to type in 2002-A-BB-MS...and have it say:

    Solenoid Valve, 2-way NC, Brass...

    Is there a way for me to do this?

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Defining text valves

    Yes, but you will have to build some extensive tables so Excel will know what
    each code-segment means...........VLOOKUP is the feature to use.....,
    something like

    =VLOOKUP(left(a1,4,YourTable,2,FALSE), etc, etc for the other segments.

    How many options do you have for each segment?

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    willwonka
    Guest

    Re: Defining text valves

    You can do this with a vlookup formula. You would have to have a list
    of what the codes meant. For example, create a range name for all of
    the first values such as data1, the second set could be named data2 and
    the third data3. The formula would look something like this:

    =vlookup(left(a1,4),data1,2,0)&", "&vlookup(mid(a1,6,1),data2,2,0)&",
    "&vlookup(mid(a1,8,2),data3,2,0))

    Hope this helps.