Special letter or homemade font

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Denmark
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365

    Special letter or homemade font

    This is perhaps on the edge of an Excel forum, but I try anyway: I often work with statistics, where the average of a sample is designated as an 'X-overscore', ie. an X with a short horizontal line over it.
    This character is not in the character map so if I need it for printing results I must first create it in the Word Formula Editor and then afterwards carry it over in Excel, which is rather bothersome.

    I think I have once seen a method to create ones own letters in a font, but I surely do not remember where. Anyone knows about this?

    And by the way - no, I cannot use the greek letter µ, which denotes the theoretical average of the whole population. It is not the same as a sample average.

    NSV

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Special letter or homemade font

    If you don't want to create the symbol:

    http://www.gwinn.us/how-to/x-bar.html

    Then acquire and install a font that contains the symbol.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    RE: Special letter or homemade font

    If you do not want to use the MS Equation editor, there are some alternatives:

    xbar is Alt-0214 in the Math Ext font from
    http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html

    xbar is Alt-0120 in the MS Reference 1 font

    Jerry

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Denmark
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365
    Thanks for the suggestions - and of course I was wrong in writing "Formula Editor" when it is "Equation Editor", but you grasped it anyway :-) I am really tired of my national language version of MS Office...

    NSV
    Last edited by nsv; 08-17-2006 at 02:51 AM.

  5. #5
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: Special letter or homemade font

    I don't know if this will help you at all, but perhaps it's something
    you may want to look into as a possible solution.

    Microsoft Windows (well, Windows 2000 anyway) comes with a program
    called Private Character Editor. You won't see it anywhere on the
    Start Menu, however. For Windows 2000, it is located in
    C:\WINNT\system32, and the file name is eudcedit.exe.

    You can just double-click on it to open it. I've created shortcut to
    my desktop, and of course, you can always put a shortcut to it on your
    Start Menu as well.

    For other versions of Windows, the path may be slightly different, but
    mostly likely, it's in the system32 folder (or you could just to a
    search for it).

    Let me know if this helps you.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Denmark
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365
    Yes, I found the eudc, which is exactly the program I was thinking of. I did create my x-bar and the result looks like this:  (now I wonder what pops up on yours screens, perhaps it only works on my PC?)
    If you can se it you will notice that it has fewer pixels than the other fonts which makes it look a lot more crude, but it works.
    If you know where to find more detailed user instructions for this program please let me know. Could be fun to make your own WindDings font...