Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to file

  1. #1
    KimW
    Guest

    Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to file

    I am linking data from one workbook to another - to pre-populate cells in
    planning templates. I have no problems linking the data. Hoever, I would also
    like to link the formatting (cell shading, font color, etc.)

    Is this possible and if so, how?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    copy your source sheet (Ctrl+A) and then go to the sheet where you have made links (destination) select cell A1 of that sheet and right click, select Paste Special and click on Formats then Ok. All formats will be copied to the destination sheet without disturbing your links.

    hope this would serve your purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by KimW

  3. #3
    KimW
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to f

    Unfortunately, I want to link formats that would be changing from one
    workbook to the other. The user would enter a variety of information (and
    often custom formatting - esp cell shading) into one workbook (for the
    overall territory) this information then populates a series of other
    workbooks (for individual distribuitors in the territory).

    I thought about conditional formatting, but I can't predict what will be
    typed into cells or how the user will format the cells. The info goes from
    one worksheet to the other with no problem, but at this point, if the user
    wants fancy formatting, they will have to do it themsleves - oh, and did I
    mention the worksheet is protected.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to file

    Not possible to link cell formatting.

    Nearest you can get is starguy's copy formats.

    Note: if you change formatting in source book, you will have to again copy
    formats manually.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    KimW
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to f

    That's what I figured. I've re-protected the sheets, but am allowing cell
    formatting - so if the user really wants that pretty format, they will have
    to do it themselves (again and again and again)....

  6. #6
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to file

    Hello,

    This thread was started a while back and has not been active for years, although I have recently come across a similar problem and have found an appropriate work-around.

    Excel Styles

    Custom Excel styles can improve the organization of large workbooks and often force the user to categorize cells (ex: Inputs, Constants, Outputs, Headers, Boundaries, etc.)
    I'll admit, the default styles are annoying to work with at the start but when you develop your own custom styles, the organization of a workbook can be significantly improved and parametrized.

    1. Custom styles can be created based upon the formatting in an existing cell; and
    2. When a style is modified, all cells with the respective style are also updated.

    I would recommend considering the explanation and set of examples provided here:

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/styles01.asp

    Cheers,
    -Dan