+ prefix on positive numbers

  1. #1
    Slashman
    Guest

    + prefix on positive numbers

    Hi,

    I know excel displays negative numbers prefixed with a - sign, is it
    possible to easily have excel put a + sign before positive numbers
    automatically?

    Any help greatly appreciated,

    Cheers,

    Aaron.

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: + prefix on positive numbers

    Slashman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know excel displays negative numbers prefixed with a - sign, is it
    > possible to easily have excel put a + sign before positive numbers
    > automatically?
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated,
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Aaron.

    Hi Aaron,

    you can build a custom format.

    From menu Format, Cells select Number tab, then choose Custom under
    Categories and type:

    +#.##0;-#.##0

    under Type.

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Slashman
    Guest

    Re: + prefix on positive numbers

    Hi Frank,

    Thanks for that it works great.

    Cheers,

    Aaron.

  4. #4
    Slashman
    Guest

    Re: + prefix on positive numbers

    I just noticed that, it gets rid of the 0 before a fractional number.
    So +1.3 is fine but 0.3 becomes +.3.

    Is there a way of having it not remove the first 0?

    Cheers,

    Aaron.

  5. #5
    Franz Verga

    Slashman wrote:
    > I just noticed that, it gets rid of the 0 before a fractional number.
    > So +1.3 is fine but 0.3 becomes +.3.
    >
    > Is there a way of having it not remove the first 0?

    Yes, use:

    +#.##0.#;-#.##0.# or better +#.##0.0;-#.##0.0

  6. #6

    Re: + prefix on positive numbers

    I wonder if the period of the end of sentence made you change the formatting to
    include multiple decimal points.

    I would have guessed something like:

    +0.000;-0.000

    would be ok.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashman
    Hi,

    I know excel displays negative numbers prefixed with a - sign, is it
    possible to easily have excel put a + sign before positive numbers
    automatically?

    Any help greatly appreciated,

    Cheers,

    Aaron.
    Hi Slashman,

    To add to the other great responces.
    Puts a plus sign in front of positive amounts, a minus before negatives, and nothing in front of zeroes.

    something like:
    +#,##0.0;"-"#,##0.0;#,##0.0

    +#,##0.00;"-"#,##0.00;#,##0.00

    0.3 becomes +0.3 or as in the second line +0.30
    Thx
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"

  8. #8