My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

  1. #1
    Steph
    Guest

    My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    I am doing a reference of 1, 2, or 3 returning specific text based on the
    number. Here is my formula.

    =IF(G29=1,"DOES NOT MEET",IF(G29=2,"CONSISTENTLY MEETS",IF(G29=3,"EXCEEDS")))

    if the ratings are all 3's the correct text value will appear. If you vary
    the ratings I receive a false value. Can anyone help me.

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    Steph wrote:
    > I am doing a reference of 1, 2, or 3 returning specific text based on
    > the number. Here is my formula.
    >
    > =IF(G29=1,"DOES NOT MEET",IF(G29=2,"CONSISTENTLY
    > MEETS",IF(G29=3,"EXCEEDS")))
    >
    > if the ratings are all 3's the correct text value will appear. If
    > you vary the ratings I receive a false value. Can anyone help me.

    Hi Steph,

    I'm not sure to have well understood, but try this:

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    Steph, try this,

    =IF(G29=1,"DOES NOT MEET",IF(G29=2,"CONSISTENTLY
    MEETS",IF(G29=3,"EXCEEDS","")))

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    MyVeryOwnSelf
    Guest

    Re: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    > I am doing a reference of 1, 2, or 3 returning specific text based on
    > the number. Here is my formula.
    >
    > =IF(G29=1,"DOES NOT MEET",IF(G29=2,"CONSISTENTLY
    > MEETS",IF(G29=3,"EXCEEDS")))
    >
    > if the ratings are all 3's the correct text value will appear. If you
    > vary the ratings I receive a false value. Can anyone help me.

    I tried your formula, and get (what seems to be) the correct result if G29
    is either 1, 2, or 3.

    If G29 is any other value, I get FALSE because the formula doesn't provide
    for a result in that case.

    If you change the formula to provide for other values
    =IF(G29=1,"DOES NOT MEET",
    IF(G29=2,"CONSISTENTLY MEETS",IF(G29=3,"EXCEEDS","other")))
    it should become clear what's going on.

  5. #5
    Steph
    Guest

    RE: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    Thank you Paul that helped some what. I am still having a problem. Picture
    a performance review with a row of 1,2,3 as the points for each cell. At the
    end the points are all added up and an overall rating is calculated 1,2, or
    3. If I key in all 1 the value = does not meet, however if I populate the
    fields 1, 2, or 3 randomly the value is false or blank with what you
    proposed. But I was thinking it should not matter what get's me to the cell
    that I am referencing as long as it equals 1,2,3. Your thoughts?

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Whats the formula in G29?
    Google is your best friend!

  7. #7
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    Steph, not sure what you are doing, I can put =A1+A2+A3 in cell G29, or
    something else and as long as the formula comes up with 1,2,or 3 the message
    is displayed. As Bearacade asked what is in cell G29, and maybe how it is
    formatted, could be showing 1,2,or 3 but the answer may be something like
    2.1?

  8. #8
    Steph
    Guest

    Re: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    Service Category Rating
    Did the associate you spoke with provide great service? 1
    How satisfied are you with the purchase you made? 2
    How satisfied are you with the transaction process? 3
    How likely are you to buy from us again? 2
    How likely are you to recommend our company to others? 1

    Total Points 2
    Performance Rating
    *

    *this value should display Consistently Meets but is blank, if they points
    are all 2 then the value displays consistently meets. It shouldn't matter
    though since my IF formula is based of the total points of 1,2,3. I did try
    percision as displayed and now it works but I can not format anything.

  9. #9
    Steph
    Guest

    Re: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    This is the formula I have in the cell so it should work right?

  10. #10
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    Steph, you can't have that formula in G29, it would be a circular reference,
    the cell reference refers the formula's results, you would need to have the
    formula in another cell and the total points formula in G29, what formula
    are you using to get the total points from the numbers 1,2,3,2,1?

    So what cell is the formula in?
    And what cell is the formula for total points in? and what is that formula?

  11. #11
    MyVeryOwnSelf
    Guest

    RE: My IF in Excel formula is not returning the correct value.

    > Picture a performance review with a row of 1,2,3 as the points for
    > each cell. At the end the points are all added up and an overall
    > rating is calculated 1,2, or 3. If I key in all 1 the value = does
    > not meet, however if I populate the fields 1, 2, or 3 randomly the
    > value is false or blank with what you proposed. But I was thinking it
    > should not matter what get's me to the cell that I am referencing as
    > long as it equals 1,2,3. Your thoughts?

    Maybe the CSV file below would help.

    --------------------- cut here --------------------------
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    Service Category,,,,,,Rating
    Did the associate you spoke with provide great service?,,,,,,3
    How satisfied are you with the purchase you made?,,,,,,3
    How satisfied are you with the transaction process?,,,,,,2
    How likely are you to buy from us again?,,,,,,2
    How likely are you to recommend our company to others?,,,,,,2
    ,,,,,,
    Total Points,,,,,,"=ROUND(AVERAGE(G23:G28),0)"
    Performance Rating,,,,,,"=IF(G29=1,""DOES NOT MEET"", IF(G29=
    2,""CONSISTENTLY MEETS"",IF(G29=3,""EXCEEDS"",""other"")))"