Formulas to speed up many manual "=()" commands

  1. #1

    Formulas to speed up many manual "=()" commands

    I am after a way of using formulas replace manual "=()" commands in the following situation...

    I have 2 adjacent columns of data on one sheet that include a weighing pan number and its corresponding mass. When entering the data of weighed items, I just record the initial weigh pan number in the data sheet. How would I insert the relevant weigh pan mass value for a given item (from the initial 2 columns mentioned) in a column adjacent to, or replacing the corresponding pan numbers in my new worksheet. I can do this manually by using the "=()" command but it takes forever with a big data set

    This is complicated by using a particular boat multiple times, so ranking both sets of data and subsequently copying columns will not work.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Formulas to speed up many manual "=()" commands

    Can you set up a table w/pan numbers and their mass (let's say this table is
    in A1:B4)

    Pan Mass
    1 0.5
    2 0.65
    3 0.8
    4 1

    Then in a column next to your data, use

    =VLOOKUP(PanNumber, $A$1:$B$4, 2, FALSE)

    where PanNumber is the cell reference containing the pan number used. Copy
    the formula down as far as needed.

  3. #3
    Worked just how I had hoped. Just saved me a day or so of mucking around. Thanks