Get number of rows that data uses, including blank rows

  1. #1
    Denham Coote
    Guest

    Get number of rows that data uses, including blank rows

    I have a column which contains numeric values. Some rows may NOT contain a
    value (ie: they're blank).

    Short of filling in all the blanks with 0's, how might I be able to get the
    ROW number of the final data entry?

    To explain further, I am using the following formula:

    =SUM(OFFSET(A1,0,0,COUNTA(A:A)))

    This allows me to sum all the values in column A, using A1 as a reference
    point, and making the range depth the value of the non-blank cells found by
    COUNTA. Problem is, if there are blank values in between non-blank values,
    the offset doesn't include those, and therefore the range depth is smaller
    than the row number of the final data entry.

    Hopefully, by obtaining the ROW number, I'll be able to specify that as the
    offset value, as opposed to using COUNTA().

    I hope I've put this clearly enough. (I've tried to keep the concept basic -
    the actual formula that it will apply to is way to long and beyond the scope
    of this posting)

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Regards,

    Denham.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    see attachment for one solution
    Attached Files Attached Files

  3. #3
    Denham Coote
    Guest

    Re: Get number of rows that data uses, including blank rows

    Aargh - that gives me an "Invalid Attachment specified" error.

    Do you perhaps have a direct link to the file, or perhaps the forum article
    number?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    it is a zipped excel.xls file

  5. #5
    Denham Coote
    Guest

    Re: Get number of rows that data uses, including blank rows

    OK, I've taken a look at the attachment. This is, unfortunately, not quite
    what I'm looking for.

    To be more specific, I'm looking at using a dynamic value in the OFFSET()
    funtion, which I wish to obtain by getting the NUMBER of the final ROW in
    which data is entered, regardless of blank cells.

    Thanks again,

    Denham.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    but my solution gives you that,ie the row number of the last cell in the column that has data in it

    I numbered the rows purposely to give you a row number. It is the cell reference that I have enlarged that you need to put in your offset statement.