How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

  1. #1
    Patrick
    Guest

    How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

    I need to combine a first name with last name, combine them with a domain to
    create a useable email address.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

    if the names are in A1 and B1, use:

    =A1 & "." & B1 & "@somewhere.com"
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Patrick
    Guest

    RE: How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

    Yes, I got that far, but I want Excel to hyperlink it automatically to create
    a "clickable" email address.

  4. #4
    Patrick
    Guest

    RE: How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

    I was thinking I could possibly populate another column with the results, but
    don't know if that's possible; i.e. have the formula calculate the email
    address, then send it to a cell as a value only.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    solution cannot be provided because you have not put data and respective cells. however i suppose your data as
    col A contains First name
    col B contains Last name
    col C contains Domain

    now to join all these three to make a useable email address put following funtions in col D and copy down.
    =A1&B1&"@"&C1

    hope this would serve your purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick

  6. #6
    Patrick
    Guest

    Re: How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

    See above. I got that far. I got a formula to create the correct email
    address, but it is not "clickable." I want excel to automatically hyperlink
    the email address, so I don't have to manually create the hyperlink.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    i dont think there is a way to do this through formulas
    however you can do this with a little manual work
    copy the column which contains formula (say col D) and right click on cell E1, select paste special and check values then Ok.
    now click on cell E1 and press F2 then enter (this will turn email into hyperlink), repeat this for cell E2, E3 and so on... this means you have to press F2 and then Enter for all cells down.

    hope this would help.

    "starguy" wrote:

    > solution cannot be provided because you have not put data and respective
    > cells. however i suppose your data as
    > col A contains First name
    > col B contains Last name
    > col C contains Domain
    >
    > now to join all these three to make a useable email address put
    > following funtions in col D and copy down.
    > =A1&B1&"@"&C1
    >
    > hope this would serve your purpose.
    >
    > Patrick Wrote:
    > > I need to combine a first name with last name, combine them with a
    > > domain to
    > > create a useable email address.

    > --
    > starguy
    > starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=573025

    Last edited by starguy; 08-18-2006 at 09:40 AM.

  8. #8
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

    I just tried this and it worked for me:
    =HYPERLINK("mailto:"&A2&B2&"@"&C2,A2&B2&"@"&C2)

    I put my first name in a2, my last initital (as that is how my email is set
    up) in b2 and my domain name in c2.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  9. #9
    Patrick
    Guest

    Re: How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

    You are the KING!!! Thanks!

  10. #10
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: How can I combine cells with first/last names into email addy?

    You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn