sums are wrong

  1. #1
    Kevin Andrien
    Guest

    sums are wrong

    I have two cells that contain functions that return numbers. The cells are
    formatted as numbers, and display as numbers. When I try to sum these two
    cells the answer is wrong. The SUM cell is also formatted as a number.
    Embarrassed to say I've been programming for 40 years and can't get by this!

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: sums are wrong

    Hi what means Wrong?

    another result? #value?

    --
    regards from Brazil
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Andrien
    I have two cells that contain functions that return numbers. The cells are
    formatted as numbers, and display as numbers. When I try to sum these two
    cells the answer is wrong. The SUM cell is also formatted as a number.
    Embarrassed to say I've been programming for 40 years and can't get by this!
    Hi Kevin,

    Without knowing any details, is Excel "rounding" the data that goes into the SUM cell??
    Thx
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: sums are wrong

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:43:02 -0700, Kevin Andrien <Kevin
    [email protected]> wrote:

    >I have two cells that contain functions that return numbers. The cells are
    >formatted as numbers, and display as numbers. When I try to sum these two
    >cells the answer is wrong. The SUM cell is also formatted as a number.
    >Embarrassed to say I've been programming for 40 years and can't get by this!

    SUM will add the values that are actually in the cell, not necessarily what you
    see displayed.

    1.44
    1.24
    1.34

    Formatted to number with one decimal place:

    1.4
    1.2
    1.3

    But SUM will --> 4.0 (4.02 rounded to one decimal) and not 3.9

    --ron