Unidentical VLOOKUP

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver

    Unidentical VLOOKUP

    Hi all,

    I'm currently using the below formula to check if a project name appears in another spreadsheet:

    =IF(VLOOKUP(A4,'Retail Tracker 3.3.xls'!twooffive,1,FALSE)=D4,"Y","")

    I have a slight problem though as a number of projects names have extra words either side of them - thus making the VLOOKUP obsolete. For example - in the documents with the above formula a project appears as 'Newark-On-Trent', however in the file 'Retail Tracker 3.3.xls, it might appear as 'Newark-on-Trent Broad Street' or even 'Broad Street Newark-on-Trent'.

    Can anyone suggest what I need to do to my current formula (or another formula altogether) that would allow for these differences in name, but still pick it up if (again, for example) 'Newark-On-Trent' appears in the project name.

    Hope that's clear.

    TIA,

    SamuelT

  2. #2