how do you invert a column

  1. #1
    Chris
    Guest

    how do you invert a column

    I would like

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    highlight the values
    then click on the ZA button or choose data, sort, descending

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Muhammed Rafeek M
    Guest

    RE: how do you invert a column

    sort Descending order
    Data->Sort

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: how do you invert a column

    Assuming data in column starting row 2, and with no embedded blanks, then in
    B2 put:

    =INDIRECT("A" & COUNTA(A:A)+2-ROW())

    HTH

  5. #5
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: how do you invert a column

    Chris wrote:
    > 0
    > 1
    > 2
    > 3
    > 4
    > 5
    >
    > I would like
    >
    > 5
    > 4
    > 3
    > 2
    > 1
    > 0

    Hi,
    If they are continuously increasing as you have shown then just sort
    descending.

    If they are not as shown, eg...

    and you need ...

    then one way is to insert a new column next to it. In the new column
    enter a continuously increasing series of numbers. Select both columns
    (and any other columns that need to stay with your column) then sort
    the new column descending, then delete the inserted column.
    eg...

    4 1
    3 2
    5 3
    2 4
    0 5
    1 6

    after sort descending becomes...

    1 6
    0 5
    2 4
    5 3
    3 2
    4 1

    Ken Johnson

  6. #6
    Chris
    Guest

    RE: how do you invert a column

    Ah thank you, just what I was looking for. Except in your formula it should
    be +1 not +2. It's amazing the various ways you can write a formula in
    Excel. I think I asked this question about a month ago and someone told me
    how to write the formula using the index function.

    Thanks again.

  7. #7
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: how do you invert a column

    1 if data starts in row 1. Anyway, it's working so thanks for the feedback.

  8. #8
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: how do you invert a column

    Don't know if this is the one you're talking about, but here's a reversing
    formula using Index:

    =INDEX($A$1:$A$20,20-(ROW(A1)-1))

    RD