Formula Referencing data on multiple worksheets

  1. #1

    Formula Referencing data on multiple worksheets

    Does anyone know how to reference data on multiple worksheets or all of the worksheets in the same workbook? I know you can reference all data in a given column by using A:A for example. How can you do the same thing with worksheets?

  2. #2
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: Formula Referencing data on multiple worksheets

    enter the formula as you normally would, and when you have to reference
    another worksheet, simply select that worksheet, navigate to the cell, select
    it, and then go back to your formula.
    --
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

  3. #3

    Re: Formula Referencing data on multiple worksheets

    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,sheet2!A:A!sheet3!A:A,0)),"Same","New To The Report")

    I don't think you can simply click on the worksheet and proceed as you indicated. When I do that (not the results above), the formula becomes invalid due to a syntax error. So, how do you correctly reference multiple worksheets in the same formula without causing a syntax error?

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Formula Referencing data on multiple worksheets

    *EXACTLY* how many sheets do want to include in this?

    What are some of their names? Are you *REALLY* using the default sheet
    names, Sheet2,Sheet3 ?

    do you *REALLY* need to reference the entire column, sheet2!A:A ?

    You'll more than likely need a completely different formula.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    There could be as few as three worksheets or as many as I feel necessary. It is completely possible that another function may work better and I wouldn't know because I'm pretty new at this.

    Is there something wrong with the sheet1, sheet2, etc.. reference names? I know they are vanilla, but I don't really mind at this point. If I could figure out how to reference more than 1 worksheet in a formula, I would probably change the name of the worksheets to reflect the date of the data. = )

    I reference the entire A column because sometimes there may be more or less items in that column and I don't really want to have to change the range each time. Seaching A:A covers any number of items and empty cells are ignored so it seems to work.

    I would totally agree that I may be using a less than efficient formula due to not knowing better. I really appreciate your help though Biff.

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Formula Referencing data on multiple worksheets

    Ok......

    Make a list of the sheet names that you want to include in the formula:

    H1 = Sheet2
    H2 = Sheet3
    H3 = Sheet4
    H4 = Sheet5

    =IF(SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&H$1:H$4&"'!A:A"),A1)),"Same","New to
    report")

    > Is there something wrong with the sheet1, sheet2, etc..reference names?

    No, not at all! Sometimes you can "build" the references to sheets that have
    a sequential naming convention without having to dedicate a range to list
    them. (but I wouldn't do it in this case)

    > I reference the entire A column because sometimes there may be more or
    > less items in that column

    Ok, that's fine. But sometimes you might have to make your file as efficient
    as possible and referencing large unused portions can cause things to slow
    down.

    Biff

    "ChrisPrather" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    BOBODD
    Guest

    Re: Formula Referencing data on multiple worksheets

    Hi Chris,

    What you're trying to do is called "3D Referencing". Keep in mind that Excel
    will only allow you to do this with certain functions. Look up "Refer to the
    same cell or range on multiple sheets" in the Excel 2003 help for a list of
    formulas that you can do this with (it's quite limited.)