Paste Special

  1. #1
    SallyGirl
    Guest

    Paste Special

    I am trying to copy a series of cells within the same colum and paste within
    that same colum without changing the formula....whenever I paste it changes
    the formula to match the cells that I am pasting it in.
    For example:
    A4=sum(A1:A4)
    I want to past this formula into A5 where it still reads (A1:A4)

    I know that I am making this harder than it needs to be!
    Please help

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyGirl
    I am trying to copy a series of cells within the same colum and paste within
    that same colum without changing the formula....whenever I paste it changes
    the formula to match the cells that I am pasting it in.
    For example:
    A4=sum(A1:A4)
    I want to past this formula into A5 where it still reads (A1:A4)

    I know that I am making this harder than it needs to be!
    Please help
    Hi Sally,

    First this formula in cell A4 will give you a circular reference. But to answer your question.

    Make cell A4 active, then highlight and copy the formula from the "Formula Bar", hit "Enter"
    then go to the destination cell and paste normal. (Formula Bar>copy>enter>paste)

    Edit:Noticed you want series of cells. Peo's post is a better way to go.
    Last edited by Desert Piranha; 08-21-2006 at 11:52 PM.
    Thx
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Paste Special

    Are you using circular references or it is a typo? Normally you wouldn't
    have =SUM(A1:A4) in cell A4 since you would get a circular reference error
    and you need to change the iteration under tools>options>calculation.
    Anyway, you can use absolute references like

    =SUM($A$1:$A$3)

    then copy and paste

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007