Help with a Formula Please

  1. #1

    Help with a Formula Please

    Is there a faster way to hyperlink in excel 2003 other that Help/Microsoft Excel Help/Create a link between cells in the same worksheet or workbook

    I have (1) workbook with 2 sheets.

    If I use column A in sheet 1 to list the following going down the list like this:
    (A1) Apple
    (A2) Boy
    (A3) Charlie
    (A4) Dan
    (A5) Ed
    (A6) Frank
    (A7) Ginger

    And in Sheet 2, I have the same names again, but use colums B,C,D,E,and F for other information (address, phone, fax, email and notes)

    Is there a way that I can hyperlink Charlie from Sheet 1 (A3) to Charlie in sheet 2 (Who may now be (A41) ,without going to Sheet 2 to see what cell each contact name (or Charlie) is in ?

    Sheet 2 is really a Master Contact list with 3,000 names that will grow only for 1 year.

    Sheet 1 may only have 30 names total that need linked. There will be a total of about 10-15 sheets with different names, but the idea is to link the name from any sheet to the master list of Sheet 2

    Tracy

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Help with a Formula Please

    Sounds like you should be looking at VLOOKUP

    Something like:

    =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:F,2,FALSE)

    Would use the value in cell A1 to lookup the table in Sheet2, columns A to
    F, and return the matching entry from the second (2) column, column B ...
    which I guess is the Address.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Help with a Formula Please

    Try:

    =HYPERLINK("[Book1]Sheet2!A" & MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A1:A100,0))

    Change "Book1" to your w/book name

    HTH

  4. #4

    Still nothing...

    I renamed my book to "test" and then entered =HYPERLINK("[test]Sheet2!A" & MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A1:A100,0)) into cell A1 on Sheet 1

    Lost the name Apple and gained a hyperlink.
    Typed back into cell A1 the word Apple and it was a hyperlink that gave me this error "Cannot open the specified file"

    Hmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Toppers

  5. #5

    Re: Help with a Formula Please

    How about:

    =HYPERLINK("#'sheet 2'!A"&MATCH(A1,'Sheet 2'!A:A,0),"Click me")

    Note the apostrophes surrounding the worksheet's name. I'm not sure you'll need
    them, but they won't hurt.

  6. #6

    Still Nothing

    When I place the string
    =HYPERLINK("#'sheet 2'!A"&MATCH(A1,'Sheet 2'!A:A,0),"Click me")
    Into Cell A1 on Sheet 1 it overwrites the name Apple and when I paste and hit enter I get a pop up window titled "Update Values: Sheet2"

    Ideas?

  7. #7

    Re: Help with a Formula Please

    Put this in B1 -- not A1. The formula uses the value in A1 to create the
    hyperlink.

    And change 'Sheet 2' to match the name of the sheet that you want to jump to.

    In one of your messages, you used "sheet 2". I thought that this was the name
    of the sheet.

  8. #8

    The functions still are not working

    Maybe this will help instead of my explaining it here in a message.
    http://www.mystops.com/test.xls

  9. #9
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    What Dave says works for me, but your sheet is sheet2 not sheet 2 so try

    =HYPERLINK("#'sheet2'!A"&MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0),"Click me")

    entered in cell b1

    or =HYPERLINK("#'sheet2'!A"&MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0),a1)

    if you wanted it to say the name of the day rather than click me

    Regards

    Dav

  10. #10

    YEAH!!! It works