+ Reply to Thread

Option/Radio button help needed

Option/Radio button help needed

I'm definitely not a wiz - need some advice here.

I'm trying to create a finance tracking spreadsheet that is simple enough for my wife to use. I have all the pieces in place, such that all she needs to do is enter the date of a transaction, the amount, and click an option/radio button for the expense category. The sheet tracks each category by the date she entered, and creates a report that compares monthly expenses in each category to our projected monthly budget for that category.

See attached picture to see a partial view of what the data entering sheet looks like.

\1

Works pretty nicely... for one transaction.

Seems like radio buttons all like to be in the same group if they are on the same worksheet. I want each row to act independently. The only way I've found around this so far is to draw a form box around each added group (such as the second row in the pic), but that is really cumbersome and ugly as sin, since I can't figure out how to make the box transparent. Don't ask me how the first row has a transparent box... the two rows even seem to have slightly different format/properties options. To be honest, I still haven't figured out what the differences are between a radio button from the forms toolbox and one from the controls toolbox.

Argh.

Simply put, I need to copy what is happening on the first row (a group of radio buttons, linked to a cell on another worksheet, along with the cells for date and amount entry) to a heck of a lot of rows below it. All doing the same thing, but each row independent of the others.

Any suggestions on how to do this in a non-kludged way?

humble bump...

I've googled and read everything I could about radio buttons... couldn't find a solution. The MS excel help doesn't turn up anything useful - I've tried every key word I could think of. I've searched through a few Excel help forums and newsgroups and didn't find anything really relevant.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know this shouldn't be that tough to do, but I can't quite figure it out.

Option Button

This is coming from a slightly different angle, but has worked well for me in the past. Instead of using radio buttons, could you use a drop down list with the expense options in the list? If so, I would recommend using the Data / Validation command - select List from the 'Allow' box and then reference a range that includes all of the possible options. Once complete, a drop down will display when you click into the cell. This cell can then be copied down as many times as you need.

Hope this alternative works - Chad

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information