show negative figures in brackets

  1. #1
    laverda74
    Guest

    show negative figures in brackets

    How do I display negative figures in brackets rather than the minus sign

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,482
    right click one the cell and select format cells,
    select number tab, and the number catagory,
    select the format you require

  3. #3
    laverda74
    Guest

    Re: show negative figures in brackets

    thanks for the help but my version of excel doesn't offer brackets as an
    option in the number category, however I went to "Custom" and found the
    brackets there.

    thanks again and regards.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: show negative figures in brackets

    If negative brackets are not available in the Number>Negative Numbers dialog.

    This is a function of your Regional Settings in Windows OS.

    Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional and Language Settings>Regional
    Options>Customize>Currency>Negative Currency Format. Click on drop-down arrow
    and select the ($1.1)

    Note: this is under the "Currency" tab in Regional Options. Changing under
    the "Numbers" tab only does not do the trick.

    Apply and OK>Apply your way out.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:04:02 -0700, laverda74
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do I display negative figures in brackets rather than the minus sign

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP