+ Reply to Thread

Multiple pivots with the same row - how do i make them change at the same time?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 and Excel 2007

Multiple pivots with the same row - how do i make them change at the same time?

Hi,

I'm using Excel 2003 for this project.

For example: -
    I have 3 pivot tables with the same row 'Media' (TV, Neswpaper, Magazine) and each has count as the data field (number of people who read/watch) then each pivot has a different column, Region, age, ***.

If I change the row of the first pivot to only show TV, how do i code it so pivot 2 and 3 only show TV also? I may have upto 20 pivots inthe end.

I found the below code to do this for page fields but can't adapt to rows - any suggestions please?

HTML Code: 

MS-Off Ver
    O365

Re: Multiple pivots with the same row - how do i make them change at the same time?

Perhaps:

Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    If not, post a sample.

MS-Off Ver

Re: Multiple pivots with the same row - how do i make them change at the same time?

Sweet, I see the logic and will try and implement tomorrow and post the result in an example.

Thanks DonkeyOte

MS-Off Ver

Right,

I get your code working great, but now I need to be able to add in more row field to my pivots, Eg Source and time.

I've tried combining the 2 sets of code above to achieve this but cannot get it to work.

Is it possible to adapt this so it only happens on a button click too please? I have other macros to add in more data fields and when i run these the code below runs and slows things down.

Cheers for your help - it's already beyond what I thought would be possible!

MS-Off Ver
    O365

I've tried combining the 2 sets of code above to achieve this but cannot get it to work.
    Please post a small sample file which illustrates all PT's in place and their respective structures. I won't look at it today unfortunately but will do so tomorrow.

Is it possible to adapt this so it only happens on a button click too please? I have other macros to add in more data fields and when i run these the code below runs and slows things down.
    I would argue it's better to keep this tied to the PT event itself else PT functionality and results become detached which would be odd... better to toggle events in your "other" code as and where appropriate such that the PT update event does not fire in first instance.

MS-Off Ver

Right then, another stage on: -

Putting the code:

at the start and end of my 'other' Macros means the Private Sub Worksheet_PivotTableUpdate doesn't make them take ages to run. Thanks for the advice DonkeyOte.

I've added a little test workbook with where I'm up to. In my eyes there are only 3 issues remaining that prevent this from being a pretty darn good bit of code.

1) I can't get it to work for hiding page field items "(Multiple Items)" (e.g. right click month_trial_begin - field setting and hide Jan-09). This will not be automatically applied to the 2nd pivot table on the right

2) As in my previous thread I can't seem to get the row field 'guide' to update automatically on the 2nd pivot when i update the first to show 'how to' only for example. I've tried adding it in as an array but I messed up the entire macro some how so took it out

3) I'm sure the marco can be cleaned up more to make it more effiecient (although it is still pretty quick on my full version that is 65mb in size)

Well, this is already much better than I could have ever got it on my own, so many thanks.

Regards
    Davellll

PS sorry its taken me so long to post this reply - me bad.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    O365

Just quickly... you make reference to "multiple page field items" which leads me to believe you're running this in XL2007 specifically - is that correct ?

If so it would IMO be best to upload a 2007 file ... reason being PT functionality differs between 2007 and earlier versions - for example pre XL2007 there is no multi select Page filter functionality ... as such the VBA for controlling PT's will differ between versions and it makes sense to code exclusively in the version you're using. Of course if it's your intention to use the file in multiple versions then it's a different matter.

MS-Off Ver
    O365

davellll,

here is some code that should work if (and only if) the Pivots are created in XL2007 file (ie not in compatibility mode)

In the above code I have as per your code comments consolidated all of the fields into the one process (ie Page Fields and Row Fields)

I've attached a working example (.xlsm as outlined above)

EDIT:
    I should add you can still use multi page item functionality in PT's created in earlier versions but it requires moving the Page Field to the Row Field, making selections, moving back to Page Field... invariably be a pain.
    If running earlier PT's in 2007 you can use MultiPageField selection but in code terms the visible status of the pivot items in the page field is not available to the other PT's ... so to mimic you would need to (I suspect) action the above
    (ie move the field in both Target and subsequent PT's from Page to Row to ensure appropriate selections and then move back to Page Field
    Last edited by DonkeyOte; 10-30-2009 at 07:53 AM.

MS-Off Ver

Hi,

I think this may just be me using the wrong terminology as I'm deff using 2003 for this (although I may need to adjust code for future products into 2007 this project is purely 2003).

I've attached a screenshot of what i am calling 'multiple items', it is actually really hiding items but in the page field you do this for the text (multiple items) is displayed. in the example I am hiding Jan 09 so only Feb 09 is displayed, in the full version the user may wish to view the latest 3, 4, 6 or 12 months only.

I hope this makes sense?

Regard
    Davellll

MS-Off Ver
    O365

Ah ok... I understand now - that makes sense... in my (late) edit to prior post I think I highlighted the issue you will face on that front... I'm in the midst of something else right now but I will run some tests on another client machine on which I'm running 2002 and I'll see what I can come up with re: hidden page items and replication thereof.

As things stand I think you can in essence disregard the prior code for the time being (unfortunately).

MS-Off Ver
    O365

Ignoring issue of multi page item filters for the time being the below should do the remainder... ie can replace your existing code.

MS-Off Ver
    O365

Not sure how badly this will perform but the below works on my 2002 version and will cater for multiple page item selection etc...

MS-Off Ver

Thanks DonkeyOte, it certainly works in my example - I've added a 3rd pivot table and it works fine (attached). Problem now is that I only 75% understand what the macro is doing so when I add it to my proper Excel 2003 project it doesn't work (well, i can't get it to). Is there a way I can give you a version of my main project to look at please? - what happens in that is where the first pagefield =(All) gets converted to a row and stays there.

I initially simply tried updating the array in my main project to be

but failed - are there certain table options or something that need to be enabled?

No real worries if I can't sort it as this is all way beyond my VB ability already, but as it's all got this far it would be a bit of a shame to not finish the marathon one step from the line.

The code in the example with my comments is -

MS-Off Ver
    O365

I've had a look at this more thoroughly now and the problem is actually quite an obvious one but one that I did not account for in testing...namely items which exist in one PT may not exist in another ... and this could be caused by a number of issues...

a) values are simply different

b) legacy items exist in the item listings

Now point b) is an interesting one and one that made me think a little more about this... in general given you want to give each PT the most opportunity of being identical you need to ensure that when you refresh one PT you refresh them all... however the act of Refresh is different to making selections etc (ie the former is based on a premise that underlying data has altered) yet refreshing via the Refresh button will

1) only refresh the relevant cache

2) invoke the update event

given the possibility of problem a) we then need to try and restrict the opportunity for error by not invoking the update event on a standard refresh...how to do this ?

Well I thought about it and came up with the idea of disabling/creating some custom controls on the right-click PT menu, ie into ThisWorkbook:

and then into a new module

The code for the refresh All should for sake of clarity reside in a new & separate module

What all of the above will do is ensure you can only refresh All PT's simultaneously via the right-click menu and "new" option added namely: Refresh All ... and
    when this is done the BeforeUpdate event is NOT invoked (it will also remove "legacy" items from any/all lists)

Now the above still does not resolve the problem that given the data sources for each PT are different it's still quite possible that items will exist in one PT but not in another, for ex. you may run an Edit->Replace on all which columns but forget to update the last one meaning the same options do not exist in all PT's ... this may be highly unlikely however it is still a possibility.

On that basis you then need to think about adding handlers around the setting of item visibility so I would change the existing Select Case section to

And all of that together *should* I think resolve your issue(s) ?
    Last edited by DonkeyOte; 11-03-2009 at 10:38 AM.

MS-Off Ver

Beware!

I have found another little problem with this macro that is easy enough to fix. If your data has blanks in it the pivot table will have a pivot item called "(Blank)" in it, but of course your actual data is not "(Blank)" it is "". Therefore the other pivot tables will not update if you wish to hide/show blanks.

So my solution is to simply find and replace all "" with "(Blank)" within all the pivot tables data regions.

Also beware of sorting your various pivot tables differently as this will effect them being 'lined up' i found that sticking to a manual sort was the safest option for my data. Changing to ascending seemed to stop the macro working.

At last I can actually contribute a little something rather than asking Qs!

DaveL
    Last edited by davellll; 11-13-2009 at 12:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information