[SOLVED] how to change line spacing for text box in excel chart

  1. #1
    Anne
    Guest

    [SOLVED] how to change line spacing for text box in excel chart

    I tried to reduce the line spacing in the text box used in a chart made in
    the Excel. In PowerPoint, under "Format" I can find "line spacing" and use
    it. But I have not been able to fing the similar function in the Excel. Is
    there any way to change the line spacing in the chart made in Excel?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: how to change line spacing for text box in excel chart

    Hi,

    I don't believe the textboxes within excel offer this type of formatting
    control.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    San Francisco, CA
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2013 Pro

    Re: [SOLVED] how to change line spacing for text box in excel chart

    I believe you can adjust the line spacing in a text box but it's poorly implemented. I was trying to work with the default title options and in frustration I gave up and used a text box. Text boxes are also poorly implemented and the default Spacing Before was something like 20 pts before and Spacing After 14 pts which didn't work at all.

    You can select the box itself but right-clicking there are no paragraph options available, not in the ribbon either. You can select the text itself and ability to right-click and select Paragraph options is intermittent. I found that by selecting the text box and only then selecting the text within and right-clicking was I able to get Paragraph options and change the Spacing Before and Spacing After to reasonable values.

    I have to add, this was only necessary because THE TEXT BOX DIDN'T WRAP ON ITS OWN AND THE TITLE WENT WELL OFF THE RIGHT EDGE (why would anyone want this???) so I had to use a hard return to get it to split where it needed to split. The default options for an inserted title are bad if you don't want the default centered option. There are basically no options for you if say you want to left justify a title to the left edge of the chart (i.e., you can't really move and resize the title box... you can move it to the left and left justify, but then it will only go about 2/3 across the top of the chart).

    No more ranting... FOR NOW!