XY Scatter Plot - Stringline for Trains

  1. #1

    XY Scatter Plot - Stringline for Trains

    I have a stringline chart I have made out of the XY scatter plot chart for trains in our area. The file is a program that allows users to input a train number (e.g. 520), start time (8:20 - using military time) and a starting location and an ending location. This if for my boss so he can experiment with various train schedule and see the trains in a stringline diagram (time of day vs. mileposts for each train). I currently have all the trains plotted against the mileposts and, correctly, some trains start and end midway where as others complete the entire run. My problem is I am getting some stringlines that extend all the way back to the mileposts on the XY intersection so the graph mostly looks good except for these long and sometimes dense (with all the plots) lines heading across the chart. They are tied to a 0:00 point which I swear is not part of the data being plotted.

    I would be happy to send the file to anyone curious enough to look into this. My two help books have nothing on this so I am your hands gracious reader.

    Thanks-

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter Plot - Stringline for Trains

    It sounds like you have a non numeric, non blank cell, which Excel interprets as a
    zero. If you are doing your data using formulas, you might have one that reads like
    this:

    =IF(<condition>,<result>,"")

    The "" does not make it a blank cell, instead it's a text value, or zero. Normally
    the workaround is to replace "" with NA(), but this will still produce a line
    between the points on either side of the point with NA().

    I think what you'll have to do, if you're using formulas, is allow for two series
    per train route. One series goes from the start of the route until it reaches one
    edge of the chart, the other goes from the other edge and continues to the end of
    the route.

    You could also try workarounds that hide the line which spans the NA() gap. Look on
    Tushar Mehta's web site (http://tushar-mehta.com) and Andy Pope's site
    (http://andypope.info).

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3

    Thanks- That did it

    I changed those "" to a NA() and then utilized the Tool Pack plugin and the stretched lines went away.

    If this file is exported to a different computer, however, won't I need to have them first of all have the tool packs plugged in and then this NA() plotting solution addressed for each machine this works on?

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter Plot - Stringline for Trains

    Maybe not. What are you using the Toolpak for?

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5

    XY Scatter Plot and Train Stringline

    You could also try workarounds that hide the line which spans the NA() gap. Look on
    Tushar Mehta's web site (http://tushar-mehta.com) -

    This is exactly what I did - I only had to change my prior data values for "blanks" "" to NA() and then that was the fix. The graph looks excellent now. It just needs other program refinements unique to our service but it does the job I thought/hoped it could.

    Thank you for your advice.

  6. #6
    Townsville
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: XY Scatter Plot - Stringline for Trains

    Hi JahMuse

    I am really interested inthe stringline chart for railroads. I do this type of work but draw everything manually with the drawing toolbar (lengthy & frustrating process).

    Do you have a file that you could share so that I could get some idea of what to do ? It would be good to just input the time and locations into a table which drives the chart.

    Thanks

    Steve

  7. #7
    Cape Town, South Africa
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: XY Scatter Plot - Stringline for Trains

    Hi

    Can you send me the file to (email removed by admin)

    Thanks in advance
    John
    Last edited by FDibbins; 02-03-2018 at 02:54 AM.

  8. #8
    Forum Expert 63falcondude's Avatar
    USA
    MS-Off Ver
    6,266

    Re: XY Scatter Plot - Stringline for Trains

    Quote Originally Posted by Hottnott View Post
    Hi

    Can you send me the file to ...

    Thanks in advance
    John
    Hi John, welcome to the forum.

    Seeing as how this thread is over 12 years old, it is highly unlikely that whomever you were talking to is going to respond.

    Also, it is a bad idea to put your email on a public forum that can be accessed by anyone (including spammers).

    If you have a specific question, please create your own thread. Feel free to provide a link to this thread if you feel that it relates to your question.

  9. #9
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,946

    Re: XY Scatter Plot - Stringline for Trains

    Hottnott, welkom aan die forum

    SA ex-pat here from PE and Klerksdorp, now living in USA (some lived in CT)

    Unfortunately your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread.

    If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.

    Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.

    Also, it is never a good idea to include your email in a public forum, so I have removed it
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford