Can't change x-axis labels

  1. #1
    getravel
    Guest

    Can't change x-axis labels

    I'm certain this is a rookie question, but I'll be darned if I can figure out
    how to change the default labels on a 3-D chart. Here's the story.

    I created a 3-D chart with a single series and 5 data points (columns). By
    default, Excel placed a numeric value beneath each column. The value that
    appears beneath each column is a single digit and is either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.
    These columns represent the five quarters from 1st quarter 2005 through 1st
    quarter 2006.

    What I want to do is change the digits to 1st Qtr 2005, 2nd Qtr 2005, etc.

    When I brought up the Format Axis window, it provided the means to change
    the formatting of the x-axis, but no way to change the digits on the axis.

    How do I change the digits to the values I mentioned above??

    Any information you can would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Thanks,
    getravel (Mike)

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Can't change x-axis labels

    Hi,

    Right click the chartarea and pick Source Data... from the popup menu.
    On the Series Tab is an area where you can specify the cells to be used
    for the axis labels.

    Cheers
    Andy

    getravel wrote:
    > I'm certain this is a rookie question, but I'll be darned if I can figure out
    > how to change the default labels on a 3-D chart. Here's the story.
    >
    > I created a 3-D chart with a single series and 5 data points (columns). By
    > default, Excel placed a numeric value beneath each column. The value that
    > appears beneath each column is a single digit and is either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.
    > These columns represent the five quarters from 1st quarter 2005 through 1st
    > quarter 2006.
    >
    > What I want to do is change the digits to 1st Qtr 2005, 2nd Qtr 2005, etc.
    >
    > When I brought up the Format Axis window, it provided the means to change
    > the formatting of the x-axis, but no way to change the digits on the axis.
    >
    > How do I change the digits to the values I mentioned above??
    >
    > Any information you can would be greatly appreciated.

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    getravel
    Guest

    Re: Can't change x-axis labels

    Thank you, Andy. Your suggestion worked like a champ!!!
    --
    Thanks,
    getravel (Mike)

  4. #4
    Netherlands
    MS-Off Ver
    Mac

    Re: Can't change x-axis labels

    Hi Andy,

    What if that source data thingy is not clickable, and therefore does not let me select the data I want there?

    Best,

    Marja