Graphing ellipse equation

  1. #1
    Scott Smith
    Guest

    Graphing ellipse equation

    How do you graph an ellipse euation in the excel?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Graphing ellipse equation

    The easiest way is to calculate X and Y parametrically. I used the angle
    theta, which I varied from 0 to 360 degrees. I can use cos(theta) and
    sin(theta) to get the coordinates of a circle of radius 1. If my ellipse
    formula is

    (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1

    then my points are simply related to the above by factors of a and b.

    So put angles in column A (0 to 360 in increments of 15 worked adequately
    well in my example: this filled A3:A27). Put the values for a and b into
    cells B1 and C1. Use this formula in B3 for X:

    =B$1*COS(A3*PI()/180)

    and use this formula in C3 for Y:

    =C$1*SIN(A3*PI()/180)

    Fill these formulas down to row 27. Select B3:C27 and create an XY chart
    with connecting lines. Then adjust the height, width, and axis scales of the
    chart so the grid is square
    (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SquareGrid.html), and you'll see your
    ellipse.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3