Stopping Charts Displaying Zero Results

  1. #1
    SCW
    Guest

    Stopping Charts Displaying Zero Results

    I am building a set of templates to automate building charts and reporting
    information. Is there a way to keep Excel charts from displaying a zero
    value for future information, i.e. actual usage in March 2005, while
    retaining the appropriate cell reference?

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Stopping Charts Displaying Zero Results

    SCW,

    Try one of these "fixes":

    (1) Enter the formula "=NA()" for those cells that have zero values. The
    X-Axes labels will be displayed but the series will not.
    (2) Click on your chart and in the standard toolbar go to Tools -> Options
    -> Chart -> "Plot empty cells as" option.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    SCW
    Guest

    RE: Stopping Charts Displaying Zero Results

    I can't enter the "=NA()" formula into the cell because I already have a
    formula to link to the master spreadsheet once we have entered an actual
    figure spent. I tried plotting the empty cells as "not plotted (leave gaps)"
    and it still insists on plotting a zero value on the chart. I'm trying to
    make this report automatic, once we fill in the base data.

    Thanks,

    SCW

  4. #4
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Stopping Charts Displaying Zero Results

    SCW,

    If you already have formulas linking the master spreadsheet, would modifying
    them with an IF statement to read something like this work:

    =IF(SUM(A1:B1)<>0,SUM(A1:B1),NA())

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  5. #5
    SCW
    Guest

    RE: Stopping Charts Displaying Zero Results

    Thank you John. I think I'm brain dead today. It didn't even occur to me to
    do an "if" statement.

    SCW