changing proportion of chart and data table

  1. #1
    Dawn Parks
    Guest

    changing proportion of chart and data table

    I have a chart with 19 lines of data and I have been requested to print the
    data table with the chart. When I add the data table so that I can read the
    text (e.g., 11 or 12 pt font), I cannot see all the data table line in the
    page viewer or print it all out. I can only print out all the data table
    lines along with the chart if I make the font so small that it renders the
    data table useless (or similarly, if I shrink the size of the size the chart
    so that what I am looking at is so small you can't read the labels anymore).
    In either case, when I do this I also I end up with half a "blank" page. How
    can I shift the aspect/ratio of the chart or change the size of the chart
    separately from the table AND how can I force Excel to let me use the entire
    page of space I have available?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: changing proportion of chart and data table

    Hi Dawn -

    Data tables are of limited usefulness. They can only contain a limited amount of
    data, they're not flexible in terms of formatting. But you still might have some
    options. Have you tried changing to a portrait orientation? Could you embed the
    chart in a sheet and use the worksheet range under the chart as a more readily
    customized table?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Dawn Parks
    Guest

    Re: changing proportion of chart and data table

    Jon,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Excluding the data table as part of the chart
    was what I had to do so that I could manipulate it separately from the chart.
    (I did try changing the view from landscape to portrait but it did not make
    any difference.) What I lost that I liked about the data table was that the
    key was in the table and without the table I had to leave it with the chart
    and then repeat all those labels as I presented the data table. Nonetheless
    I got greater flexibility on formatting and was able to add fields that I did
    not plot but that were informative; I would not have been able to do this
    with a linked data table.
    Dawn

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: changing proportion of chart and data table

    Dawn -

    Glad to help. As I said, built in data tables have only limited flexibility. They're
    great as far as they go, but a future version of Excel sure could use an enhanced
    data table feature.

    - Jon
    -------