Adding a line Chart Type to a stacked-clustered Chart Type

  1. #1
    Debbie
    Guest

    Adding a line Chart Type to a stacked-clustered Chart Type

    I have columns and stacked columns side by side in a chart. I tried to
    add another data point, but as a line instead of a column. The line does not
    appear on the chart itself but does show as a data series in the legend. I
    have an example I could email but not sure how to attach to these messages.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Adding a line Chart Type to a stacked-clustered Chart Type

    Debbie -

    What does your data look like? Is the data (X & Y) for the line within the same
    range as the columns?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Adding a line Chart Type to a stacked-clustered Chart Type

    Debbie,

    This should get you a column - stacked column - line chart . . .

    Try setting up your data as follows:

    Series 1 Series 2 Series3 Series4 Line 1 Line 2
    Jan 1 4 5
    3 5 4
    3 2 6 5
    Feb 2 5 6
    3 6 7
    3 3 7 6
    Mar 3 6 5
    3 5 6
    2 2 4 7
    Apr 4 5 6
    3 6 5
    2 4 5 4
    May 5 6 5
    3 7 6
    3 3 4 7

    With this setup and taking January as an example, the effect that you’re
    trying to achieve is to have 3 total columns – two columns are normal, the
    third column is stacked, and there are two lines above the columnar group.
    The first two columns are single columns side by side consisting of the data
    1 and 3. Next to those two columns is your stacked column consisting of the
    data 3 and 2. The Series3 and Series4 titles are dummies for legend purposes
    only. The Line1 and Line2 columns will eventually be the lines.

    Step 1 – based on the setup above, create a stacked column chart.

    Step 2 – Click once on Series "Line1" column segment-> right click on your
    mouse -> Chart Type -> Line -> OK.

    Step 3 - Click once on Series "Line2" column segment -> right click on your
    mouse -> Chart Type -> Line -> OK.

    Step 4 - Delete the "Line 1" and "Line 2" legend keys from the legend.

    Step 5 - Click on the Series 1 legend key and color it purple.

    Step 6 - Click on the Series 2 legend key and color yellow.

    Step 7 - Click on each 2nd bar within each month and color them yellow to
    correspond with the yellow legend key.

    Step 8 - Click on Series 3 and color it green.

    Step 9 - Click on each 3nd bar within each month and color them green to
    correspond with the green legend key.

    Step 10 - Click on Series 4 and color it plum.

    Step 11 - Click on each 4th bar within each month and color them plum to
    correspond with the plum legend key.

    Step 12 – Decrease the gap widths for the columns and format the lines.

    If you could respond to Jon's question, it would be interesting to get his
    input on how to put this together. Hopefully there's an easier method.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com