How do I set a cell to "Empty" so that it does not display in a ch

  1. #1
    Ian
    Guest

    How do I set a cell to "Empty" so that it does not display in a ch

    I would like to use the IF statement to set a cell to empty so it doesn't
    display in a chart.

    If a use the "", then the chart plots this as a zero.
    E.g.
    =IF(A1>100, "", A2)

    If I use the #n/a, then the cell isn't plotted in the chart as required.
    E.g.
    =IF(A1>100, #n/a, A2)

    However, if I then try to use the MAX() or MIN() commands on a cell range
    that contains the #n/a, then a #n/a is returned.

    So is there either a way of defining a blank (empty) cell or a way of
    setting the MAX() and MIN() commands to ignore the #n/a

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a cell to "Empty" so that it does not display ina ch

    Hi Ian,

    Rather than using #n/a text use the function NA().
    =IF(A1>100, NA(), A2)

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a cell to "Empty" so that it does not display in

    Thanks Andy,

    I have tried the NA() command which plots the graphs ok.
    However, assuming I use:
    A1 to A10 = [5, 10, 50, 60, 80, 200, 30, 50, 30, 120]
    B1 to B10 = [IF(A1>100, NA(), A1), ....]
    B12=MAX(B1:B10)

    B6 and B10 will be NA(), resulting in B12=MAX(B1:B10) being NA().

    Is there any method of getting the MAX() command to ignore the NA() command?
    or alternatively using something other than the NA() command to plot the
    graphs correctly?

    Cheers

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a cell to "Empty" so that it does not display in

    Ian -

    Sometimes you just need to have two sets of data, one for the chart (with NA) and
    one for calculations. They're linked of course, so they keep up with the changes.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services