Short trendlines?

  1. #1
    Max McGovern
    Guest

    Short trendlines?

    How do I create a trendline for the past 13 weeks on a 52 week chart?

    Thanks,

    Max McGovern

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Short trendlines?

    Max,

    This could be one option to use to plot the most recent trend. This example
    trends the last 4 days of a 10 day stretch (of course you would change yours
    to look at the last 13 weeks of a 52 week time-frame). Try setting your data
    up like this:

    Observation Date Data Trend
    1 1/1/2005 56
    2 1/2/2005 67
    3 1/3/2005 65
    4 1/4/2005 56
    5 1/5/2005 67
    6 1/6/2005 68
    7 1/7/2005 75 70.61818
    8 1/8/2005 67 72.69697
    9 1/9/2005 69 74.77576
    10 1/10/2005 85 76.85455

    The linear trend is calculated using Excel’s TREND function. It’s an array
    formula that is entered using the control – shift – enter keys. For more
    information on this calculation, look up TREND FUNCTION in Excel’s help.
    This example uses a linear trend but you can get other types of trends from
    Excel too.

    To set up the chart, assume the “Observation� title is in cell A1. Put your
    curser in cell B1 and use the Chart Wizard to create a line chart covering
    the range B1:D11.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Short trendlines?

    Max -

    A trendline can only be made with all points in a series. As an alternative to
    John's suggestion, make a series with only the last 13 data points:

    Observation Date Data Partial
    1 1/1/2005 56
    2 1/2/2005 67
    3 1/3/2005 65
    4 1/4/2005 56
    5 1/5/2005 67
    6 1/6/2005 68
    7 1/7/2005 75 75
    8 1/8/2005 67 67
    9 1/9/2005 69 69
    10 1/10/2005 85 85

    Plot both series, the full set and the partial set, and make your trendline using
    the shorter series. If you want, you could hide these points by formatting the
    series to use no marker. The trendline will span the entire range of data, even
    though it is based only on the plotted points.

    To get a trendline that only spans the appropriate points, make your second series
    as an XY Scatter series using only the points in the Partial column and the
    corresponding dates. If you started with a line chart, select just the short series,
    and choose Chart Type from the Chart menu to change its type; then choose Chart
    Options from the Chart menu, and uncheck the secondary axis boxes on the Axes tab.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Max McGovern
    Guest

    Re: Short trendlines?

    Thank you both for your suggestions. It took me until now to figure out
    John's method, but I did get it to work. I will now work on figuring out
    your method, Jon.

    Max McGovern